Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late model cars have trunk liners to protect the quarter panels from being dented from the inside. Has anyone seen something that would work for us? An aftermarket kit? A late model retrofit? Any custom fabrication ideas?

A few months ago, one of the Mustang magazines had a B/W photo of a trunk with a liner, but it wasn't all that visible.

I'm not all that impressed with the vintage Mustang trunk mats. And I don't care for splatter paint. I'd like something more substantial.

[color:blue]
1967 Acapulco Blue coupe
302 4V, C4, 9" 3.25:1
Torq-Thrust "D" 225-60-14
1968 PDB, Corbeau
LeCarra, Alpine in-dash CD
http://www.geocities.com/mlnielsen_67/index.htm
WEBSITE UPDATED 2/28/01
</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
I haven't seen any kits but you could make something of this nature very easily. Get you some roll carpeting from home depot and some thin non perforated pegboard (the thinnest one they have). You also need a snap and button kit - this might be hard to match up, look in your fabric stores though and you should find something (depends on what your local Home depot carries in carpet colors).

Figure out what kind of 'design' you want to have in the trunk. Cut your pegboard to fit that design, and find your mounting points. My ford taurus only has about 4 or 5 total mounting points on the side wall stuff; it uses premolded carpet. Anyway, mount the pegboard in the car the way you want it to look using the screws from the snap and button kit. Once you've got it looking the way you want, take the pegboards back off. Cut your carpet to the size of the pegboard, glue it in place with a strong adhesive, then poke a small hole (only the size of the screw) thru the carpet where the mounting points are. Put the pegboard/carpet combo back up, slip a screw thru a snap, find the mouting hole (probably the hardest part of the whole job), screw it in, and snap your buttons overtop. Voila!

As soon as I get enough free money together, I'm going to do this to my car so I'll take some pictures if you haven't done it by then.

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting idea.

Once the masonite (pegboard without holes) has been cut to the desired shape and test fit, fabric/carpet/liner could be attached with spray adhesive. The lined panels could then be installed with screw, rivets, or maybe Velcro.

Hmm, that gives me some ideas.

[color:blue]
1967 Acapulco Blue coupe
302 4V, C4, 9" 3.25:1
Torq-Thrust "D" 225-60-14
1968 PDB, Corbeau
LeCarra, Alpine in-dash CD
http://www.geocities.com/mlnielsen_67/index.htm
WEBSITE UPDATED 2/28/01
</font color=blue>

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
That's exactly the construction of TOBA's trunk liner in the Camry. Fabric covered masonite w/ velcro attachment points.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
I am also going to do this to my car. I have thought about it for a long time, and I guess other people have too. I think it will also make the trunk look a lot more presentable.

-Dave Flak

1 - 6 of 6 Posts