Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shop manual notes pulling the "Reaction Valve Plugs", and then reinstalling them and the valve.spring, etc... Doesn't talk much about why or what to look for as a reason for replacing them. (other than to say "Hi" and "Goodbye").

The repair kit I have has no O-rings or other parts for this area, and the few parts catalogs I have looked at don't mention these items.

Is this something that "should" be replaced? The body is clean inside, all the internals seem OK, spool, etc. seems fine.

Leave it alone and reassemble the rest or find a source and replace them?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I tried to rebuild mine once, it leaked faster AFTER I rebuilt it. I bought one to replace it and should have returned it because it was the hardest power steering I had ever steered. Instead I drove it for several years, then replaced it again with a good one.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but if you end up buying one, my point is if it doesn't feel right, take it back for another one.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Basically, you should remove the plugs, the reaction valve and all the other related parts, just so you can clean all the passages out real well. Sometimes the reaction valve will varnish up and stick. Sometimes it has a burr on it and sticks. It needs to slide smoothly in its bore.

You definately need to replace the o'rings on the plugs or they WILL leak.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So where can I get the O-rings and plugs? None of the kits I have seen have them...???

I would think after pulling the plugs new ones would be required to force fit back in properly???

·
Registered
935 Posts
Any rebuild kit should have come with the o'rings. Either the kit you got was short, or it was for a late 70's/early 80's style valve that didn't use a reaction valve.

You should be able to match them up at an auto parts or hardware store. I am not exactly sure what the size/diameter/thickness of them are, and the size is not listed in the Ford parts books. I could send some to you, but they would take a while to get there.

You should contact the place you got the kit from and tell them the o'rings were missing from your kit and see if they will replace them for you.

You shouldn't need to replace the aluminum plugs unless they are damaged or corroded.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I will try to source locally once I get them out. Kit from NPD (I think, maybe someone else) bought long ago..

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The O-rings are not what you think of as ordinary rubber O-rings. They are about the size of a quarter with a ~1/4" hole in the middle. They are about as thick as #2 pencil. They install on both ends of the spool. Without replacing them your CV will certainly leak. I rebuilt mine a few months back and no leaks. I think they key is taking your time and lubing everything well during reassembly so you don't damage the new parts. Good luck!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ford shop manual has very good instructions. Take your time and read all the info. Not a bad job. Depends on how bad your core is,as far as rust/pits in the valve or bore. Even a few light pits are OK . You can do it!

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The O-rings in question are on the reaction valve plugs, not in the main body.

Pulled it apart today and am going to try to find a local source. They are ~5/16" OD/ 1/16" thick...

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts