Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Mustang Coupe
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just destroyed two rebuild kits in the process of rebuilding the ps pump for my 68 coupe, I thought I would pass along what I wish someone had told me. Sorry I don't have a photo yet, I will add one later. When reinstalling the pressure housing (not the reservoir but the inner housing) over the pump internals there is a large O-ring that goes around the outside of the pressure relief valve housing that is easily damaged. I did it twice. The ps fluid inlet slot on the side of the pressure housing has a sharp edge that will catch and cut this O-ring unless you are very careful. When pushing the pressure housing down over the pump internals, watch through the slot for the O-ring to show up. When you see it, stop pushing down on the housing, get a slim screwdriver or other tool and use it to press down and guide the O-ring under the far edge of the slot. Failing to do this, I cut a nice crescent-shaped chunk out of two of these O-rings. Bummer. I hope someone reads this and avoids my frustrating experience!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts