Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I got a 68 J code coupe, without PS. However, I have a PS system to install. The thing I need to know is how critical is it to install the PS gear box? Will the rest of the system not work with the manual steering box?
I need some info asap, as I have a new motor ready to install, but, now would be the time to do the steering box if I have to do that.
Help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Is your manual box the quick ratio 16:1? PS with a slow ratio box would probably be pretty lazy. You can find out by posting the tag # on top of the box. The pitman arm should be different if you have it with the PS setup you're installing, has a hole to slip on the control valve stud whereas the manual one has a stud sticking out of it.
Jon

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Don--As already stated, the only necessary thing that has to be done, is replace the Pitman.

The Manual pitman is a different animal than the PS Pitman (Make sure you change a 1" for 1", or 1 1/8" with 1 1/8".)

The Box in your car, if a Factory Manual steering cars is a 5 turn SMB D Box. It will work fine, but will make your steering effect VERY Easy.

This is because of the extra Gear Ratio of the 5 Turn Box.

Now if you were to install a SMB K Box ("Power Steering Box"), this will be a 4 Turn Box, have less gear, add more steering effert to steer the car.

This ratio business is where folks get mixed up on the Boxs---PS Box, Non Power Steering--Turns--Sector size, on and on.

It's just ratios in the boxes from 65-70 Mustang, Fairlanes, Comet, Cougars, etc.

Dan

www.chockostangclassicmustang.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts