Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my last post, I have managed to successfully install both cylinder to valve hoses as well as the return line. It turns out that the return line drops straight down from the pump and through the bracket at the base of the shock tower (at which point it goes UNDER the tie rod and into the ps valve). The problem I am having now is with the high pressure hose. According to the pics that Laurie posted for me, the high pressure hose forms a loop behind the pump and then drops down through the bracket and then above the tie rod (and possibly the pitman arm?) where it connects to the valve. I seem to be lacking the room to form any sort of loop because I am using a later model ps pump with the outlet on the side rather than the back. Additionally, the hose I have appears to be of the variety that routes near the headers (rather than under the engine compartment) b/c the end is bent in such a way that the hose angles down when it should be angled up. So...to get to the real point here...I have found a hose that is short (to eliminate having to loop it), but I cannot for the life of me figure out where/how the end connects to the valve. Once I affix the hose to the bracket, there does not seem to be enough 'slack' in the hose for it to achieve its full range of motion. Additionally, I cannot figure out how to clear the pitman arm. I need a pic or a detailed description of any year or model mustang power steering so I can get an idea of how this hose is supposed to look by the valve. I plan on taking a Frankenstein hose to a hose shop to have them custom make one for me in the proper shape.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
The pressure outlet is on the side of the pump? I've never seen that on a 67-70 Mustang PS pump. If you have a pict, send it to me. Buddy, I feel your pain. :: I dicked around w/my ps hose setup for a week before I finally got it like I wanted it. I couldn't run mine exactly like Laurie's becauce I have 351W manifolds on my 289. I ran my pressure line under the pitman arm, but I've seen them w/it above also. I used the big block lower pressure hose(short piece about 14" or so long) and then I had a local hose shop modify my upper portion so it would fit. I'll see if I can't get some picts for you.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any pics would be great. Yes, the outlet for the pressure is on the side of the pump...the engine came out of a '73 ranchero (351W), but it appears as if the previous owner purchased a late model ford (read 1980's) ps pump. Originally, I thought about going back to the original pump, but with all the b*tching about the lack of road feel with the early pumps, I figured I would be better off with this one. Any descriptions or pics you could provide would be great...I've already fiddled with this thing for weeks now and can't seem to get it finished. Once I get this hose in place, it will finally be time to fire this thing up and take it for it's first drive in 13 yrs!

Jeff

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, could you please tell me which year/engine size pressure hose you used? A part number would be great as well. I'm just looking for anything I can get that will make this setup work.

thanks,

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts