Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I carry a fire extinguisher in all out vehicles and they have been used a few times, but always on someone else's car. No more helpless feeling than having an incepious fire and not being able to do a thing but watch it spread.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
When I learned of the "Elements", I purchased one for each driven vehicle. I like they are compact can store in the glove box and have been touted as lasting a couple seconds longer than our "bottles".

·
Registered
69 Mach 1 , 68 K1500 short box GMC
326 Posts
I need this

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5, 331 stroker, TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear, 3.55 gears
1,766 Posts
It looks like the Element Extinguisher would be good in an enclosed area like a vehicle interior or engine compartment, but not so much in an open space or where there is any significant wind. It doesn't seem to have the same amount of force to project the fire suppressant as a conventional dry chemical extinguisher. I suppose carrying both could be an option. Dry chem vs Element video.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I ALWAYS carry a Halon fire extinguisher when driving one of my classics. It's cheap insurance & gives me peace of mind. They now sell Halotron which replaces Halon.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
And look into the new technology Element E100 Fire Extinguisher
I hope you guys will forgive me, but I've been in a few Fiats, Ferraris and a Lamborghini. I love Italians for their beautiful designs. I love the feel of their work, the sound and the smell of it. They have a unique ability to capture passion and emotion in the cars they build, and in so many other works of art and everyday use. And dear Lord, I LOVE your food. Italians understand what it means to have emotion, and be a human being. I love you, Italy.

But also having experienced the agony of fixing Italian vehicles, I hope you'll forgive me if I question the effectiveness and reliability of an Italian fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
I hope you guys will forgive me, but I've been in a few Fiats, Ferraris and a Lamborghini. I love Italians for their beautiful designs. I love the feel of their work, the sound and the smell of it. They have a unique ability to capture passion and emotion in the cars they build, and in so many other works of art and everyday use. And dear Lord, I LOVE your food. Italians understand what it means to have emotion, and be a human being. I love you, Italy.

But also having experienced the agony of fixing Italian vehicles, I hope you'll forgive me if I question the effectiveness and reliability of an Italian fire extinguisher.
There was a good demonstration on one of the Jay Leno Garage episodes. As far as function and reliability goes, it appears to be as reliable as a road side flare. It has an abrasive cap that you use to strike and then it burns to release an extinguishing gas. Very clean, no chemical mess to cleanup.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
There was a good demonstration on one of the Jay Leno Garage episodes. As far as function and reliability goes, it appears to be as reliable as a road side flare. It has an abrasive cap that you use to strike and then it burns to release an extinguishing gas. Very clean, no chemical mess to cleanup.
Given that you probably can't put it out, some idiot will light it, use it in his car, close the doors, and asphyxiate.

That aside, it seems like a pretty good idea! Most of the commentary about Italy was just for grins.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I had the ps return line bracket come loose and the hose moved up against the header while pulling out from a car cruise.
The hose burnt through and the oil caught fire, luckily I had an extinguisher in the trunk and quickly doused the fire.
I have a trunk release on the car which operates from the key fob and that saved me from fumbling with the keys accessing the extinguisher.
There has always been an extinguisher in all my vehicles.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
2,289 Posts
Given that you probably can't put it out, some idiot will light it, use it in his car, close the doors, and asphyxiate.

That aside, it seems like a pretty good idea! Most of the commentary about Italy was just for grins.
Do some more research. It’s doesn’t work that way.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts