Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My real barn find today turned up PINK . In a milking barn from 1890's found a 68 coupe.
It was complete and turnkey after battery and fluids. :: Had
heard of this one for over six months but couldn't track it
down. ::
M

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just ran a FOMOCO CodeCracker on it. Feb 16th assy. day.
Was it a Valentine present? :)
M

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe it was ordered on valentines Day? ;) The family was the
original owners. Been sitting since 2000. Pink with
parchment interior and vinyl top. What were "kiwi" -pattern
inserts? PS,power discs,auto, and straight!!! :: ::
M

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just ran a FOMOCO CodeCracker on it. Feb 16th assy. day.
Was it a Valentine present? :)
M
intrestingley enough, they day they started puting cougar making lights on the 68s! does it have the cougar light of the mustang lights?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Maybe it was one of the Playboy cars. I could be wrong, but weren't the only cars that were pink from the factory in '68 part of some deal with Playboy that Hef worked out so the playmate of the year got a "Playboy Pink" Mustang as part of her prize for winning the title? It was supposed to be a unique shade of pink different from any stock color Ford was using. Or maybe it was just a special order car for Dusk Rose (A '67 color not offered as stock on the '68 Mustang, but almost any color Ford used could be ordered if the customer asked for it)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'd Marti report it. If it is one of the playboy cars, hang on to it. I think there were 200-300 made or something like that.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
There's a lot of fallacies about the Playboy Pinks. Only two given to Playmates of the Year. A 1965 Convertible to 1964 Playmate and 1969 Shelby. I don't believe either were factory pink but repainted when awarded to the ladies.
What Ford or collectors or whomever calls Playboy Pink was a special order color, but there is no way to know how many in each year or overall.
The Marti report just gives a number for how many Special order colored cars, but not specific to what the color was. So of say 5,000 special order colored Mustangs, there is no way to find out how many were "Playboy Pink" or even lavender or fuchia. I've also seen many shades of pink on 65-70 Mustangs which many owners such as myself have called Playboy or Playmate pink. But it could be bubble gum or cotton candy or Pepto.
I have an original pink 66 coupe. I used to say it was a Playboy Pink pony. There have been a few people at shows and even here on VMF who must know better than me and have corrected me that truly Playboy Pink didn't start until 1967. Honestly I don't know and have come not to care. What makes my car rare (ie, "undesirable":chainsaw:) is that I chose to keep it pink instead of repainting it red or blue.

Anyway, congrats on your find. :highfive: Are you buying it? My 66 is definitely feminine, but I almost bought one with a black interior and would have named it FLOYD. :joker:

http://a1.cpimg.com/image/B1/2F/52410801-ec0f-02000154-.jpg

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Eperstang is quite correct. definitely a lot of falicies about pink cars. I'm sure I'm not a 100% straight on it either, of course I don't have a pink car, but I do want a pink 69 Conv for SWMBO.

You're in California right ? There were a few promotions out on that side of the country. The "Rainbow of Colors" in LA area (68/69) and "Color of the Month" in Colorado (1968). They both produced pink cars in 1968. There is a brief description of the promotions here:
web page

If you can post the door tag info (probably isn't a buck tag on it) maybe we can identify if it came from one of the promotions.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's definitely not Dusty Rose. It is darker but not Salmon. ::
It has prestrike rear quarter markers. :: It is San Jose car
so no buck tag. It comes up also a San Jose DSO so it could
be a color of the month car also from the Limited Edition
600 page. :: The pics I took suck (end of day/low light :() so I
will get more. :: Gave deposit on it and pick up after Christmas. :: ::
M

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Call the "history 999" report number at 1-800-392-3673 ( American Ford Customer Assistance ). Info available for '67-88 models based on article in 2001 MM. Ask for a "broadcast sheet" which lists the options for your car. They will need your VIN of course. It is FREE & they will mail it to ya -- whatta bargain.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I recently had the sister car to yours and may have some interesting info for you. PM me for more details.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's a Rainbow of Colors promo car. Ford did a different color each mohth, and pink was it for Feb. Check the color code on the data plate and it'll have 6 digits. I've tracked down a few cars made at about the same time and they're all within a few VIN numbers of each other. Most are 288, auto, and not too many options. Most of them seem to be on the west coast, or at least were sold there when new.

Dan

·
Registered
129 Posts
Call the "history 999" report number at 1-800-392-3673 ( American Ford Customer Assistance ). Info available for '67-88 models based on article in 2001 MM. Ask for a "broadcast sheet" which lists the options for your car. They will need your VIN of course. It is FREE & they will mail it to ya -- whatta bargain.
I tried that with my special order paint car and they came up with "sage bronze" which seems to be the FoMoCo code cracker program default for special order paint cars. The last time I tried it with any VIN and left the paint code blank it said exterior color: "sage bronze". Luckily I found my build sheet with the special order color notation proving my car's original color.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I bet you already know this "sage bronze" is color code "5". I'm just writing this as na FYI for everyone else. Unless a Mach I was ordered without blackout hood treatment "5" would appear in the color code as the 2nd digit in the color code. On special order color cars "5" would be the only digit, which makes it easily mistaken as the body color.

You are lucky with your buildsheet find. I had to go through all the Ford colors from 1956 to 1972 and have test colors mixed to identify the correct color for mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts