Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Monday, my dad, me, and three other guys pulled our 302 out of the car. We didn't ever really look at the numbers until last saturday when we were cleaning the grease off...Let me start from the beginning. The guy who sold it to us, said he took the engine out, and looked at it, and it didn't really need "rebuilding" so he just cleaned it up. I was kinda skeptical because I was pretty sure a car that had been driven like this one couldn't have an engine in that good of shape, but who knows. He said it was the original engine, and we assumed that if he pulled it out and cleaned it up a little, that he would have looked at the numbers. Well, come to find out, it is not the original engine, and actually, the parts are kind of a mix-and-match. Here are the numbers that we have found so far:
Engine Block: D1OE-6015-AA
Intake Manifold: C6OE-9425
Tranny: C7OP-7A040-A

I know from the code that the block is a 71, but I'd really like to know if any of you have a 69-73 Casting #'s book, tell me what this engine came off of, and the manifold is a 66 289 or 289 k-code, but unfortunantly the final letter distinguishing the two has been filed off, and I haven't looked through my code book to see exactly where that tranny came from (it's an automatic, c-4 I believe). In light of these events, we've decided to completely rebuild it, and soup it up a little bit. If any of you have pictures or descriptions of anything with these numbers, please help me out in determining exactly what they are.

Here are some pics of the engine.

http://gallery.mystang.net/data/media/90/DSC02950.jpg

http://gallery.mystang.net/data/media/90/DSC02957.jpg

More pics are at my Mystang Gallery

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Those valve covers are off an 87-up fuel injected engine also. Just been painted black instead of the silver they probably originally were.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
That oil pressure sending unit thing looks kinda strange too...

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,751 Posts
Looks to be a complete set up out of a (or a couple) Fairlane / Torino(s). It may be possible that it all came out of one 1971 car. I don't know for sure, but the part numbers may have been carried over year after year.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The oil sending setup is just using regular cast iron plumbing......been there, done that.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
1. refresh me...why are you "extremely disappointed"? What were you expecting? The picture doesnt exactly differ substantially from what this guy told you, at least according to your narrative so far.

2. The oil pressure thing is a pipe and elbow mated to a 65-66 style pressure sending unit. From the famous "JuryRigg Motors" performance shop ::

3. I think your intake is a '66 model, from your code.

4. thats the first time Ive ever seen 5.0 valve covers on a carbed 302 :: <spock> fascinating.....</spock>

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
thats the first time Ive ever seen 5.0 valve covers on a carbed 302
Me too... I was trying to find the "5.0 HO" sticker on the intake manifold. ::

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Basically, he told us it was original, and it wasn't. I think we could have probably paid a little less than we did for the car had we know that. Maybe not, we were just thinking that he said it was original, and it wasn't, so maybe he wasn't quite completely honest about other things too. (or he was just an idiot).

·
Registered
926 Posts
Oh well, only you and us know. ;)

All you really need is the correct year timing cover and valve covers (both cheap)and there's no other visible clue what year it is. Nobody is going to drop the starter to check.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts