Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Keep your motor

Pulled my 289 out today. Smoke was coming out the passenger side tale pipe and oil. I'm sure people have asked many times. Rebuild or new create motor. I'm really wanting to drop in a new 363 Ford Racing boss motor, the one with 507hp. I will detune it with a different intake as the one they used is to tall and a smaller 650cfm carb, just bought it a year ago so not going to buy another one. That should bring it down about 40 horse. I figure I will need to do frame connectors and a monte carlo bar. Any advice, suggestions?
I haven’t read the entire thread, just jumped around to see what people are suggesting. I didn’t notice anyone else comment on this but, the 363 you are looking at will be based off the 351 block, it’s not much different than the 289/302 but it is taller and as such the heads are out just a little bit more (it’s wider). So your tight engine bay is just a little bit tighter, headers are just a little bit harder, and depending on the rockers, if it has tall valve covers, the plugs will be a little harder (time consuming) to pull and replace.

Your 289 will plus out to a high revving 331 very nicely, and can make a very comfortable 400 hp (mine does 570 flywheel, 480 rwhp and without power adders). You could go higher, but 400 is an easy target, it can run on pump gas, and it’ll live a long healthy life. You probably do not have a 9” rear, nor a transmission and driveshaft that’s rated for more than about 300 hp, if that. The only real problem with the 289 is you’ll be limited on lifter design, beyond that it is as good as most of the others.

Find a machine shop that understands how to build a SMF, go with top shelf internals, AFR heads, Comp Cams cam and valve train, and as a stop light warrior you’ll be VERY hard to beat. Don’t fall in love with allure of Boss motors, or exotic materials; if this is a street car a hot 289 that can spin the tires in the first three gears is super exotic in itself. Then fill in any gaps in the rest of the cars performance.

The Total Control Performance (TCP) has a excellent array of frame and engine bay strengthening parts.

Good luck with it,

·
Registered
622 Posts
I haven’t read the entire thread, just jumped around to see what people are suggesting. I didn’t notice anyone else comment on this but, the 363 you are looking at will be based off the 351 block, it’s not much different than the 289/302 but it is taller and as such the heads are out just a little bit more (it’s wider).

The Ford Racing 363 is not based off the 351 block. It’s based off the shorter deck 289/302 block. Same stroke as a 347, but with a 4.125” bore, gives you 363.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-Z2363RT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I haven’t read the entire thread, just jumped around to see what people are suggesting. I didn’t notice anyone else comment on this but, the 363 you are looking at will be based off the 351 block, it’s not much different than the 289/302 but it is taller and as such the heads are out just a little bit more (it’s wider). So your tight engine bay is just a little bit tighter, headers are just a little bit harder, and depending on the rockers, if it has tall valve covers, the plugs will be a little harder (time consuming) to pull and replace.

Your 289 will plus out to a high revving 331 very nicely, and can make a very comfortable 400 hp (mine does 570 flywheel, 480 rwhp and without power adders). You could go higher, but 400 is an easy target, it can run on pump gas, and it’ll live a long healthy life. You probably do not have a 9” rear, nor a transmission and driveshaft that’s rated for more than about 300 hp, if that. The only real problem with the 289 is you’ll be limited on lifter design, beyond that it is as good as most of the others.

Find a machine shop that understands how to build a SMF, go with top shelf internals, AFR heads, Comp Cams cam and valve train, and as a stop light warrior you’ll be VERY hard to beat. Don’t fall in love with allure of Boss motors, or exotic materials; if this is a street car a hot 289 that can spin the tires in the first three gears is super exotic in itself. Then fill in any gaps in the rest of the cars performance.

The Total Control Performance (TCP) has a excellent array of frame and engine bay strengthening parts.

Good luck with it,
Yup as already stated it's based on a 302 Boss block. And yes I confirmed what I was told my car does have a 9" rear end.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The Ford Racing 363 is not based off the 351 block. It’s based off the shorter deck 289/302 block. Same stroke as a 347, but with a 4.125” bore, gives you 363.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-Z2363RT

Just to add: the larger bore really does a nice job of unshrouding the valves. A given head will outflow it's numbers if the rest of the intake tract is up to snuff. Not a bad way to go if you can afford to support it.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
622 Posts
Just to add: the larger bore really does a nice job of unshrouding the valves. A given head will outflow it's numbers if the rest of the intake tract is up to snuff. Not a bad way to go if you can afford to support it.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

Good point!

41 - 45 of 45 Posts