Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I pulled the plugs out of the left bank a minute ago, and they were all black and wet with oil. Im going to run a compression and leak down test later today and I will post the results later. I really hope its just the valve seals and not the piston rings. Im planning on pulling the heads off of it if I need to, the whole gasket kit is only 60 bucks. I really dont want to pull the engine and re-build it. I dont really have the money right now either. But thats life.... it isnt fair. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
the valve guides would probably have to be TRASHED for oil to show up on the plugs

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Put in another set of plugs and try retorquing the intake.Very seldom will all four holes on one side pass oil at the same time.It really sounds more like the intake gaskets are leaking.Pull the valve cover and probe the valve seals with a screwdriver.Are they hard?Crumbling into pieces and maybe clogging the oil drainback holes?If so,just replace the valve seals.Spend plenty of time diagnosing it before you spend a lot of money in a high mileage engine.The seals can be replaced without pulling the heads.You'll need a fitting that screws into the spark plug hole and a valve spring compressor,and you can get these at any auto store.Don't waste money on gaskets pulling the heads if you don't have to,if you're not familiar with the procedure let me know and I'll walk you through it.Keep us posted....

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is, I dont know if its a high millage engine or not..... The engine is really clean inside, as I have already had the intake off, and there is no carbon whatsoever. All 8 plugs are really dark. I think Its running to rich. Also, im basically trying to figure out what the noise is I hear over 1500 RPMS. Its like a knock tap. It doesnt sound like a rod, but more like a lifter. But I don't understand while it only happens at start up, and over 1500 RPMS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts