Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a '66 A code coupe that had a November '65 scheduled build date, and just pulled the starter off to replace the oil pan (scope creep - replacing front suspension...), and was a bit surprised to see what I think is a '68 part number on my block (see photo), C80E-6015A. Date stamp shows 7F14 (June 14, 1967?).

I'm not surprised its not original. So the question is, what have a got? Pretty sure its a 289 as I've had the valve covers off and saw "289" cast into them.

I know '68 was a transition year from 289s to 302s. My sense is this was an early '68 production year block that could have been used for either 289s or 302s. My dad retired from the Cleveland engine plant, and bought a 302 powered Montego back then because he liked what he was seeing at the plant. I wonder if this is a Cleveland block? I'm certain the heads are from Windsor.
Paint Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Font Tints and shades

Also, in pulling the starter I see some shavings, but the flywheel and starter gear look fine. Is this a concern? And, should I replace that old, heavy and slow turning starter for something new?

Shoe Automotive tire Crankset Hood Helmet

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Its too early to be a "1968" block (June 14, 1967) , I would guess the castings changed and this is still a 1967 289 assembly.

casting plants didnt always make changes strictly on model year designations and this number would be an engineering casting number. That differs from an actual part number. Although technically not called a "Cleveland" the block likely came from that casting plant.

I believe the 289/302 differences are mostly internal reciprocal changes...

·
Registered
625 Posts
I see the tri fecta of problems there. It appears you have washers shimming your starter out apparently because it is engaging improperly. So lets begin... washers shimming starter out, ring gear teeth getting ground on, and probably the starter Bendix the part that moves and engages the flywheel has shredded and left some of itself in the bellhousing. There is a manual and an automatic starter with longer or shorter nose cones this will allow different engagement start there and dont pass go,until you clean that mess up... Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
A lot can happen in 50 years, so do not assume what it was is what it is.

A lot of sobbing and tears have followed with that assumption.

The 7F14 says 289, not 302. But someone who, in 1976, cracked their block on their 2 year old 302 could have grabbed this block from the salvage yard, tossed the "old" rotating assembly, and put in the "newer" 302 guts. Heck, it could be a stroked 347.

Do you have a flywheel or a flex plate? Do you have, or had, a starter for a flywheel or a starter for a flex plate.

Do you have a block (also called a spacer plate).

A lot of rabbit holes to run, but washers on the starter and shavings in the bell housing (or torque converter cover) cries pay attention now or pay $$ later.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see the tri fecta of problems there. It appears you have washers shimming your starter out apparently because it is engaging improperly. So lets begin... washers shimming starter out, ring gear teeth getting ground on, and probably the starter Bendix the part that moves and engages the flywheel has shredded and left some of itself in the bellhousing. There is a manual and an automatic starter with longer or shorter nose cones this will allow different engagement start there and dont pass go,until you clean that mess up... Good Luck!
Sounds like cleaning out the shavings, and a new starter are advised? The starter I pulled has a '76 part number on it, and a '72 part number where the gears are...

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
3,085 Posts
Sounds like cleaning out the shavings, and a new starter are advised? The starter I pulled has a '76 part number on it, and a '72 part number where the gears are...
Can you confirm if you have a block plate or not?

Something like this:

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
1,412 Posts
'67 casting date with a '68 casting number would not be original to your '66, so it's a replacement engine no doubt, wether rebuilt or junkyard Salvage who knows. Could even be a garage rebuild out of another car. I'm guessing originally it was bound for use in an early '68 model vehicle.

There is another stamping on a little flat rectangle part of the engine block on the drivers side on the front of the engine towards the bottom of the cylinder head and the top right side (if your standing in front of it) of the timing cover.
If your coil is in the original '66 location, you may have to remove it to see the little pad, and probably scrape/brush some gunk off unless you keep it real tidy.

It is stamped when the engine is assembled. You correctly deciphered the casting date on the block, have a go at that one and you will know the date the engine was completed.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
'67 casting date with a '68 casting number would not be original to your '66, so it's a replacement engine no doubt, wether rebuilt or junkyard Salvage who knows. Could even be a garage rebuild out of another car. I'm guessing originally it was bound for use in an early '68 model vehicle.

There is another stamping on a little flat rectangle part of the engine block on the drivers side on the front of the engine towards the bottom of the cylinder head and the top right side (if your standing in front of it) of the timing cover.
If your coil is in the original '66 location, you may have to remove it to see the little pad, and probably scrape/brush some gunk off unless you keep it real tidy.

It is stamped when the engine is assembled. You correctly deciphered the casting date on the block, have a go at that one and you will know the date the engine was completed.

View attachment 853842
Mine is not as well stamped, but I can tell the first character is a "7".

1 - 20 of 61 Posts