Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What pulleys did you change over to if/when you put an electric fan on your 66 era car? I just looked at some really shiny, and pretty expensive, pulleys from CJPP.... wonder if there is a cheaper option out there that other users have had some success with. I really don't want bullitt polished pieces, just something I can paint or have powder coated...

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
You use your original pulleys. The fan has nothing to do with the pulleys. I just got shorter bolts for the water pump pulley.

·
Registered
721 Posts
What all accessories do you have? My car came with a 6 rib serpentine belt setup on it that was alternator only, and was around $200 from Summit.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry Mach, that would have been useful info... It is stock, pretty much, with power steering. I'll look into the shorter bolts, that would make it easy.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
I just got them at the hardware store. I think they are 5/16th by 1/2" long and I got your typical split lock washers. I'd at least check their tightness once or twice after initial install.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
One can remove the fan and use the stock pulleys.

Where you will run into a challenge is when you change your alternator to power the electric fan. I had issues with belt squeal even with under-drive pulleys. My solution was dual V belt pulleys from CVF Racing. I do not have power steering or AC, but they have systems for both.

Reactions: dh_66_fastback

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! Mark, I'm looking at your website now, I might change them up. And, I don't like belt squeal, so I'll look at new belts... the ones one the car are a bit dated. I don't drive her much, so things like that should be cycled with new ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts