Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost finished with the rebuild of the 302 motor for my 69 Mustang engine swap. Does anyone have any suggestions for the crankshaft and water pump pulleys? The car as it stands now has power steering and an alternator. How many groove pulleys do you need for that configuration? At some point, I want to add AC. Does that have an effect?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Skip,
While I'm new to fords and classic mustangs, I have been going through this learning curve also, since I'm installing AC in my 302ci with power steering in a 66 mustang.
So far, this is what I have:
1) you need the 3-groove crank pulley to add AC -- so do it now. These crank pulleys are of 2 types: 3 bolt and 4 bolt (I am told); you'll need to check what kind of crank you have.
2) you need an idler pulley for the AC compressor (HOWEVER, NostalgicAC uses a hinged-type bracket for their Sanden compressor that does not require an extra idler pulley to adjust tension). If you use an idler pulley, however, there are at least 2 stock types, and I was told (see other VMF posts) that whichever system you use, you will have to use the complete pulley system from that particular type (in other words, use an entire early 1964-66/67? set of pulleys, or the entire set from later years).
- Complete Underdash system from Nostagic is about $900; Complete inside-dash unit combininb AC+heat is about $1500
3) you will need the 2-groove water pump pulley (for PS and for Alternator belts)

You'll next enter into the AC evaporator controversy: whether to use an easier-to-install under-dash evaporator (and much cheaper by at least $500), or go with an "inside-dash" unit that ALSO has heat incorporated into it. The latter is easily $1500 kit, but clean-looking.
I'm going with the under-dash unit, since it just looks more period-correct, and since my console it already set up for under-dash clearance.

Also, you'll get to the decision whether to use electric fan or 5/6 blade mechanical fan. I'm going with electric 16" fan + fan shroud.
I have a 4-row aluminum 16" radiator.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts