Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a latemodel longblock in my 67 mustang and need some help getting the water pump and crank pulley to line up. I am using March underdrives and a Edelbrock Victor pump. The factory 5.0 balancer is too long and the Ford Racing balancer is too short. The front dress is v-belt driven, not serpentine. Is there some kind of spacer if I wanna use the Ford Racing balancer?
Has anyone else had interference problems using aftermarket balncers, I have the Ford racing unit and the Summit brand that is almost identical. They both hit the timing cover where the counterweight is on the back.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The first question is did you swap over to the early style timing cover? I am having similar problems trying to get my v-belt pulleys working. I was thinking about trying the march set. I am using the stock 5.0 balancer and the older v-belt pulleys line up correctly, but the crank and water pump pulleys hit each other. From my research I have seen spacers for the crank pulley to make up for some differences. I'm pretty sure I have seen them on both Summit and Jegs. Good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the early style timing cover.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
I kept the 5.0 and early model timing chain cover. I didn't, however, swap to v-belts, so my opinion is moot i guess.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
FRPP sells pulley spacers to use with their balancers, they come in 3 or 4 different thicknesses and I believe Summit has them on their website.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts