Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Pulling intakes....is there an easier way?

755 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Ray_Hillebrand 
#1 ·
So last month I strapped a brand spanking new Xcelerator intake on my 351c....this month I am pulling the motor and rebuilding it into a stroker.

So I have almost everything ready to go.....except I can't get the intake off /forums/images/icons/mad.gif. All the bolts are out and I am pulling up on it using my cherry picker to try and break the RTV seals....but instead of the intake lifting...I can lift my tires of the ground /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Some have suggested prying with a screw driver, but I am afraid that will either damage the block or damage the aluminum intake beyond repair.

Any suggestion?

#2 ·
Either you missed a bolt or use a putty knife to break the seal that you created with the RTV.
Dave

#4 ·
Did you put the RTV on the front and back or over the whole surface?
Try to break the front and back with a razor or exacto knife.
Good luck.

#5 ·
Hey, I opened up the gasket pack, it had a tube of sealant and had instructions that said "thin bead around every port."

Thin is a very non precise term or measurement.
And I really do wish I had missed a bolt, but I didn't /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

#6 ·
I always use a stiff bladed putty knife. Drive it down between the intake and the heads. Don't force it, just tap it in all the way down both sides. Then across the front. That should loosen it up...You must be hung up on the four outside corner bolts.
When you get it apart, you might want to use a rat tail file, and open those holes up a little bit. It shouldn't be that tight...

#7 ·
Hey Nick

Damn dude, that thing must be stuck butt good.

Try using the engine hoist and some type of tool to
work the intake loose. Lift up with the hoist the give
the intake some light prying with a small pry bar.

Well, you know for sure it didn't leak when it was running.

Vacuum leaks can be a drag.

Good Luck

#8 ·
Check your bolts again, I've never seen rtv stick that tight, not even when GM used it strictly for pan and valve cover gaskets...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.