Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I pull the column out? There doesn't appear to be a wire connector at the bottom of the column anywhere under the dash? There are about a dozen wires that enter the column at the base.....I want to pull it out....but don't want to cut all the wires....

The reason....frustration level has been peaked....I can get my new pedal assembly up and in place....but I keep getting random wires stuck under the front meaning I have to pull it out and try to get the wires out of the way again....I am also having trouble getting the front studs that hold the lower column bracket back into the capture nuts......I've been under the dash of the car for 6 hours today with the column and steering wheel rolling around/laying on gut....my back is killing me and I am about ready to sell the POS AS IS, WHERE IS.....with maybe a bullet hole or two in it

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,007 Posts
I don't have the answer but feel your pain. At times like these I've often wondered just how the h*ck Ford slapped these cars together so quickly on the assembly line. If it takes us hours in an uncomfortable position on our back cursing at it, how'd THEY do it quickly on an assembly line that can't be stopped?
Anyways, hope someone chimes in with an answer soon for you - good luck:)

P

·
0 Posts
You didn't say which car, as the plug is different, but each column has a plug for the turn signal switch.

·
Premium Member
6,189 Posts
As for being on your back and trying to juggle the new column in, I could see when I removed my old one that putting in the new Ididit Tilt was gonna be a bear. I ended up suspending the new column with a couple of big Zip Ties from above. I was able then to work without having to hold it up at the same time. I could draw the Zip's tighter and move the column up into position for fastening. Worked great. This from a guy who's had two back surgeries. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Follow the wires. You will find the connector. It may be hidden and it may be black and hard to see, but it is there.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Starting at the turn signal switch and related horn wiring at the top of the column under the steering wheel, the wires travel down the steering column tube in a hidden channel and pop out about half way down. At the end of the wires is a plastic wire harness connector. The wire terminals are plugged into the connector after wires are pulled through the tube - the connector does not fit.

That harness though is contained within the tube except for the few exposed inches where the connector is.

That said, the harness does not have to be removed in order to remove the column from the car.

The picture that Pete included should bear witness to this.

Can you try again to explain where you are getting stuck? Pictures would help.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Nick:

To clarify, the tilt column has one additional electrical wire that connects to the vacuum release solenoid mounted on the top of the column which triggers the vacuum motor that pulls the release rod for the "away" feature and two wires that attach to the pin switch at the bottom of the release rod which is wired into the neutral safety switch on the side of the A/T under the car. The other wires for the turn signal switch/horn are the same for all '67 columns. All wires are detachable without cutting. If someone has monkeyed with the tilt-away over the years, your set up may be different.

Regards, Jeff

·
Registered
97 Posts
My '67 coupe with tilt-away column had a plug so that the column wiring could be unplugged from the dash wiring... I be you have one, you may just have to hunt for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts