Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Pulsing lights at idle - how old is this regulator??

3K views 56 replies 10 participants last post by  matnetik 
#1 ·
Here’s what I know - lights pulse at idle - will get some video this weekend.

I believe it’s just the headlights, not sure if it’s inside as well
3 wire alternator, new cables (unsure how old it is but keeps everything charged and battery reads 13.5v atm)
New solenoid and new battery
New instrument panel regulator
New ground strap from alternator to block, from block to firewall and to radiator
All new bulbs and light housing / cleaned connectors
Just ordered a new headlight switch because mine has been a bit finicky.

I am thinking it’s this 40+ year old voltage regulator or is this a replacement? Easiest way to test? Or just replace? Any recommendations for a solid state unit? Doesn’t need to look factory or anything but would love plug and play. As always, thanks!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Tire

See less See more
#57 ·
Well well well!!! @Woodchuck simple yet expert advice saves the day yet again! Dropped in new Motorcraft plugs, jumped to my other car and IT STARTED RIGHT UP!!

Battery is getting 14.6V at idle and 14.5 with the headlights on - everything is working like a charm, I let it idle for about 10 minutes, went for a whip around the block, was a bit rough (assuming this is due to all the fuel and starter fluid in the carb) had to raise the idle screw a tad because it wanted to die but I need to drive it and get all that out. Maybe need to adjust the gap on the plugs, might be missing a bit. Anyway, we can finally put an end to this thread! Old plugs below, clearly fouled as suggested.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.