Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1966 Mustang factory A-code GT coupe in its (repainted) original factory color, springtime yellow. It has a vinyl top, so I tried to include photos of Mustangs with the same color/top. I'm considering getting it repainted to one of these options, and I was curious what everyone thought the best would be! I know the decision is ultimately up to me, but I wanted to hear your thoughts!

Ivy Green:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

"Nightmist blue" or a dark blue (Black vinyl top instead):
Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle Sky

Raven Black:
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I'm unsure exactly which factory color this is. Tahoe Turquoise?:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle

Vintage Burgundy:
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Grille

Attachments

· Premium Member
10,849 Posts
Yep. Springtime Yellow is a fave.

Reactions: cds2

· Registered
1,478 Posts
I like all these colors options, including Springtime Yellow. They're all popular classics. Since you asked opinions, stay original.

why get it in the same color?
For originality's sake.

Reactions: cds2 and mowermd

· Registered
1,070 Posts
I knew that would happen lol. How come? If the paint is in less than ideal condition anyways and needs a repaint, why get it in the same color?
The more important question is, why would the opinions of others matter when it comes to choosing paint color if you're set on changing it from the original? It's your car, paint it whatever color you want. Anyone else's opinion is and should be entirely irrelevant.

· Registered
111 Posts
when deciding upon a color, unless you are trying to make it exactly as it left the factory, then the sky is the limit. I grew up in the 60's and early 70's. My 65 GT A code was honey gold, with the deluxe two tone interior. Im sorry, my mom had avocado colored appliancse. Mustangs should not be that color. So, when it came time to paint mine, I made it my own. I chose 65 Rangoon red, I wanted to go with the palomino interior, but many of the parts are not available. So, I changed over to early parchment. Make it your own, unless striving for absolute correctness.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its your choice , so what ever you like but if your thinking about resale? Stay away from springtime yellow, one of the least sought after colors thats why you dont see too many.
Not planning on reselling, but intending to retain its value as much as possible. Why is Springtime Yellow less sought after? I assume it's because it's not a very appealing color. But I'm surprised the rarity doesn't make up for it.

· Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
1,121 Posts
I would say any of the colors mentioned to include Rangoon red,, with exception to burgundy. My apologies to anyone that has burgundy - just not a color I remotely like on a car. The yellow is nice but like you I would probably be considering others if painting. It’s a big decision. One you don’t want to remotely regret 6 months after bringing it home from the shop.

Trust me, My 65 came Wimbledon white. And I really like white and was set on returning to that color but after much thought went rogue…. Returned to another favorite of mine, metallic blue.. And it’s not even a Ford blue..

Like others have stated, if you don’t have a desire for originality, the skies the limit. The only person that needs to love it is you!

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would say any of the colors mentioned to include Rangoon red,, with exception to burgundy. My apologies to anyone that has burgundy - just not a color I remotely like on a car. The yellow is nice but like you I would probably be considering others if painting. It’s a big decision. One you don’t want to remotely regret 6 months after bringing it home from the shop.

Trust me, My 65 came Wimbledon white. And I really like white and was set on returning to that color but after much thought went rogue…. Returned to another favorite of mine, metallic blue.. And it’s not even a Ford blue..

Like others have stated, if you don’t have a desire for originality, the skies the limit. The only person that needs to love it is you!
Thanks for your input! Although red was my favorite color growing up, I'm not a fan of it in most car situations, even Mustangs. But I totally understand why people think it's the perfect color for Mustangs. I can see why.

Regarding originality, staying with Springtime Yellow would be the obvious choice, since it's the original color code.

My thinking was that choosing a different factory color option would sort of be the best of both worlds, a good middle ground. Maintaining some originality, at the expense of it just not matching the color code. But the benefit would be having a color that I like more. Some days, and some rays of light, I really like the Springtime Yellow. Other times, not so much.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.