Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a Stang a long distance from Atlanta!
What have some of you done in the past when it comes to finalizing the deal $$ wire? I'm prob. gonna have the car shipped via truck (still deciding on open or closed...). Do I wire $$ after the car is on the trailer, before, send a deposit first (I'm thinking of doing this anyway..), does the transporter hand over the money when they p/u the car?
Anyone's experience in this would help,

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I live in Atlanta and purchased a car in California. What I did was to use escrow.com. When I received the car, and inspected it to make sure it was the car I was expecting, then I released the money in escrow. Log on and check it. www.escrow.com

Good Luck,

·
Registered
168 Posts
I live in North Carolina and bought my car from a California owner. I used my bank to handle the transaction. I did wire the owner a small deposit to hold the car until we got everything finalized. I felt like I could trust the guy but you just never know. If he took off with my deposit it was only a small amount. The owner had to send the title to the bank and sign some papers before they wired any money. Then we agreed on a date to have the car transported. I would recommend using a bank or a broker or some type of 3rd party you can trust and has done this type of business before. My experience went smooth and I was pleased but I would be leary of wiring the full amount with out a title or something concrete. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Ditto.....I did it the exact same way. After wiring a deposite ($1000), I sent the balance from my C.U. to his C.U. immediately after he submitted the title to his C.U. After that, he put it on a truck and it arrived here 3 days later. The whole thing took about 8 days to complete.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I looked into this as well, but they are WAY pricey in my estimation. After I learned that my C.U. could handle the money transfer for free, it was a no-brainer. Of course this was only after I had the car inspected at the purchase site by a knowledgable VMF'r (Jimbo).

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Make sure you cover yourself some way. I bought a car out of California last year. Talked with the owner many times and had him send pictures of it. Finally made the deal sent him the total on car and had it shipped to Iowa. When car showed up it was a real piece of crap. When I contacted the owner he said he did not misrepresent. Only after telling him I would take him to court on this did he refund money but I was out the $800 to have it shipped to me. Be carfull.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I would fly to Atlanta, inspect the car and finalize the transaction. See it loaded on the transport or drive it home. If it is not as represented, walk. A lot less risky than any other method. I assume you are spending a fair amount of money on the car, so a few hundred on plane fare and a hotel could save a lot of grief. I have purchased airplanes by sending a deposit and taking certified funds with me to pick it up. No problem that way. Good Luck

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I would not buy a car that I haven't personally seen and checked out..worth the investment to fly and check it out..then once you are there..you can cut the deal..pay the man..get a signed title and then make arraingements to have it shipped

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, one of our own knowledgable VMFer's is going back to take a 2nd look at the car for me. He lives very close to the car in Boise. I have also seen some detailed digital pics of the car and the seller sent me a video.
I have thought about flying out there but I think I have everything covered as in I know what I'm getting.
Think I may use the escrow account idea.

Thanks,
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts