Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning

As friend of mine returned from a car show and stated he had seen a 67 Mustang with a push away steering column. The one that were in the old T-Birds. He also stated that the owner swore it was options and the car was built with it. I told him no way, however, I have been unable to located any info to support his claim, nor mine. Any info would be great.

P.S. Beers were bet.

O

·
Administrator
19,338 Posts
Sure it was an option, and a fairly rare one. But they called it "tilt away".

I have one from a Tbird that is column shift. I bought it because I was assured by an old time Ford guy that I could fit it with parts to make it a fair approximation of a factory correct tilt away for my '67 coupe. It's a neat option and the only kind of tilt column I've ever had a use for. 1967-69 Mustangs and Cougars had the correct ones I believe. Google "Mustang tilt away" for further proof.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The attached pictures are from the 1967 Ford Showroom Options Book. Yes, this Option was available for 1967-69 Mustangs. The 1967 version was priced at $59.93.

The Tilt-away was actually quite different than the "Swing-away" version found on the T-Birds. Both my 1962 and 1966 T-Birds have the Swing-away. With it, the whole steering column actually pivots at roughly the floor, and moves horizontally to the right by manually moving it after the car is in "Park". The Tilt-away, however, functions quite differently : once the car is shut-off, and the Driver's door is opened, a separate switch releases vacuum from a vacuum reservoir, and the "steering wheel part" of the column moves up and to the right, like shown in the picture. An added feature of the "Tilt-away" is its 9 vertical "tilt" positions.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I had a 68 T-Bird with it. It didn't work when I got the car but figured out that the only problem was that the pin was missing that connects the vacuum servo to the cable in column. Replace the pin and I was in business. Very cool to see it work when it didn't work before.

The wheel kicked up and away when the driver's door opened (and maybe in park too? I don't remember.). Conversely, the wheel would not stay down unless the driver's door was closed. I took the car to Costco one time to have new tires put on. When the dude tried to drive it into the bay with the door open, I was watching. Obviously he was having problems because the wheel wouldn't stay down. I'm shouting over to him from over the wall "close the door!". But, alas, he knew better than some stupid customer. I'm sure he was absolutely convinced that there was no way there was a connection between a car door and a steering wheel. It was obvious to this expert that the steering wheel was broken.

·
Registered
33,897 Posts
i have a tilt in my 69 coupe - but never use it (what ever motor activates when the door is opened is long gone or broken) . I can adjust it manually but never have the need.
The only "motor" is the vacuum motor that pulls the latch when the door switch activates the valve. There is no electrical motor at all.

It's entirely possible that, as PraireBronze discovered, a minor repair could revitalize the tilt-away function. Most often, a pinhole leak in the vacuum reservoir or split/disconnected vacuum hose, is the culprit.

·
Registered
33,897 Posts
yeah if it just snaps back like when I press the turn signal stock to adjust it manually - i'd actually hate to have that happen every time i open the door lol
Oddly enough the tilt function and away function are two completely different things. Different release, different hinge, etc.

It's a good idea to rest your hand on the wheel when opening the door, to make the away function more gentle on the mechanism.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@schweigert
...what ever motor activates when the door is opened is long gone or broken...
It could also be that it's not a vacuum problem. It could be electrical, or, the mechanical bar.

The Bar: There's a bar inside the column which, when driving, is engaged into the head of the steering column. When the door is opened and the door courtesy switch activates the vacuum system, the bar disengages from the head, which promptly springs up and away. That bar is actually adjustable, it's threaded onto a rod which is connected to the vacuum diaphragm on the steering column. So, if someone had taken that out during a swap, restoration, etc., and not adjusted it correctly, it could be that the bar is simply not pulling back for enough to disengage from the head.

Electrical: It could also be a bad door jamb switch as well, or, there's also a relay unit stashed up under the dash, it's up and to the right of the column, that thing could be wonky as well.

Vacuum is going to be the most likely culprit... but ya never know. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Whoops... I need to make a slight correction.

I had been thinking of a '67 because of the OPs original mention of that.

You, however, have a '69, and that uses a cable inside the column instead of the rod I mentioned previously. They both have what I called the "bar", but it's correct name is the "Locking Pawl". The pawl on the '67 threads onto the rod, whereas those in later years are attached to the cable, I think it's probably a crimped or lead-welded connection. So that would make my "adjustment" suggestion kinda invalid for your application.

Apologies for any confusion there. :-o

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
had a 67 cougar tilt away give to me. put it in my 65 mustang. Did not use the tilt away .just the tilt
Was that a major job to install, and does it change the look drastically? I could use a tilt in mine, but I don't it to frankenstein the car and make it look really weird. My rebuilder mentioned the other day that he knows of a tilt wheel set-up that looks completely stock.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts