Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon replacing the intake/carb and water pump on my '68 FB I noticed a problem with the #5 cylinder intake valve.
The rocker was loose and off the pushrod. I pulled the pushrod out and it was bent.
The car had been sitting for 8 years before the PO had tried starting it, probably cold not by hand so I figured maybe a valve or something was stuck and bent the pushrod when it was started for the first time.
I replaced the pushrod with a a new one but there is still way to much play in it even with the rocker nut screwed all the way down the stud.
Could it possibly be a bad lifter also?
It's a stock 302, hydralic lifters, standard rockers.
The rocker itself looks fine and the car actually ran pretty well without that valve.
The motor was supposedly rebuilt at some point not long before it's storage also.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Several possibilities:

Collapsed lifter

The lifter wiped the cam lobe

The rocker stud is pulling out of the head

The rocker has worn down the valve stem
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm hoping it's just a colapsed lifter. I picked up a new one to throw in and see how that does first.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Once you pull the lifter out, look at the bottom surface of the lifter. If it is damaged in any way, you can be assured you cam is also damaged.

You may want to pull the spring on that valve and see if the valve is stuck. All you will need is an overhead valve spring compressor and something to pressurize the cylinder with so your valve does not fall down. (assuming it is not stuck)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts