Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I recently had my AC charged (I have a Sanden 134 compressor) the guy told me I severely needed to add a "pusher" fan to put in front of the condensor. He said the compressor was building up too much pressere and that the pusher fan would help. I currently have a "puller" which is rated at 1300 cfm. Does the pusher sound right? If so, where is the best place to purchase?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
A puller rated at 1300 cfms? Is this an electric fan? Is it in addtion to some other fan? I have a puller rated at 2100 cfms and it just doesn't cut the mustard on hot days, even with my Griffin aluminum radiator.

If that's true that your only running a 1300 cfm, I'd say yes, you need the pusher because you're probably running very hot.

Today when it was only in the low 90's here, I had to get off the freeway twice during rush hour and go find some side streets to open her up on to cool my engine down. I'm going to change out my thermostat tommorrow to a 180 deg. to see if that helps, and the next step is toss the 2100 cfm fan for something that can pull enough air to keep a v8 cool.

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
Probably the best electric fan (IMHO) is a Ford unit for either an LTD or Mustang with police package or Mark VIII. They are available either new or from the salvage guys and IIRR, flow about 10,000 CFM.

·
Administrator
19,320 Posts
If you're running high head pressures, yes a another fan will help lower the pressure. Any kind of fan you can fit in front of the condenser will help some. I used an 85 Sentra pusher fan on my 82 F150. It was the only pusher I could come up with that would fit behind the grill. It's small but made a measureable difference. A friend of mine has a wrecker that spends a lot of time idling with the AC on. He managed to fit a fan from a Peugot 505 onto his truck. The AC will freeze you at low idle. I've never seen such a powerful stock fan. it will suck in birds and small animals. If you ever get around an old Peugot with the AC on, you'll know what I mean. The fan sounds like a small jet engine in there.
Aftermarket fans are generally very good. I hate to order one and have it not fit though. I pulled the grill out of my truck and drove to the junkyard. There I got fan after fan until I found one that fit well and THEN bought it. Something you can't do with mail order.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts