Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 289 68' coupe. i already have a 4 barrel carburator, and a victor jr.intake. i have some ideas on what else i need(headers, flowmasters,camshft etc.)but since im only 16 I would like more suggestions,new tranny, gears etc??? so if you know of anything i should do let me know. im also thinking about dropping a 351w but thats kind of costly, anywayz im open to ideas.
,thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, I started this whole mustang mess when I was 15 so I know where you are coming from. After the intake and carb, I would go for headers and duals. I put on a factory style GT system. Sounds pretty good, and is rather hush hush for the cops (good idea at 16). I am 27 now and am looking to put flowmasters on with a 2 1/2 inch system all the way back. Louder, but I can get away with it now. I would say the next place to go would be rear gears. You probably have 3.00 or 2.something in there. Jump to a 3.55 (don't go higher for a street car you will be sorry). Get good gears, richmond or similar. Summit brand is not the place to save money. I upgraded to a 9" rearend cause I had one sitting here. But from what I understand unless you are going to be dumping 350 hp you just don't need to spend the weight (9" are heavier than 8") or the money. Also note that while doing this stuff seriously consider improving handling. Disc brake conversion up front, bigger front swaybar and addtion of rear one ($200 project), good shocks, quicker rate leaf and coil springs, ect. As my daddy always said, "you need to be able to get out of trouble as fast as you can get into it". Feel free to email me, I will be happy to give you as much info on my experiences as I can and good luck!
CMM

67 mustang coupe
70 mustang mach 1
88 mazda/ford mx-6

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The questions you need to answer is what you want to build the car to be and how much money you have.

If you want real fast 0-60 you need to get a posi rear end with something like 3.90 or 4.11's gears, rear lift kit, wide tires and traction bars. The mileage will suck and you will sacrifice top end but off the line you will be eating rice burners.

If you want to beef up performance but keep driveabilaty you want to make the engine breath easier, some 351w heads, headers, duel exhaust and mild cam. Also update the spark system to an electronic ignition.

If you want a hell raiser you want to get as big an engine as you can find (My favorite source was old utility vans). Keep the truck transmission. A set of headers routed out to a set of side pipes. 14" tires in the front, 15" in the rear. Front brake line locks and a stall torque converter. Run standard tires on the rear that you can buy cheap from a junk yard, you will be replacing them often.

Motor

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IM TRYING TO GET MY 289 TO THE POINT WERE I CAN RACE MY COUSINS MAZADA, NOVA ,MALIBUCTC(CHEVROLETS)AND GET A LITTLE RESPECT. NOT BEATING THEM JUST RUNMNING WITH THEM. RESPECT.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have chosen a manifold that has a power range of 3500- 8000 rpm.Unless you are planning a full race motor heads,rods,pistons BIG cam. This motor is going to fall flat on its face. Sell the manifold and buy or swap it for a performer or performer rpm.You will be much happier with the performace

Greg B

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Agreed. You are going to have to build a radical motor to fit that intake. If you want good performance get a performer RPM intake and cam. This would be a good start for a nice street motor. And a set of 3.55 gears would be a good investment.

The saying is true "Speed is money, how fast do you want to go?"

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
That intake would be hurting far more than helping with the stock setup. Make out the whole plan of what the engine/drive train will be and do it (even if just a piece at a time), but the first thing to happen needs to be loosing that intake.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

·
Registered
311 Posts
Agree with loose the intake. My suggestion for an otherwise stock engine would be an autolite 4100 on a weiand stealth intake. That'll produce power from idle to top rpm. Add 3.55 gears in the rear. Good luck, have fun.

Don
1965 Convertible, 351W, Tremec, 9", continuous "improvements"
1996 Explorer XLT - daily driver
2000 Taurus - wife's driver
2001 Giant OCR3 - my 2 wheel road warrior for getting in shape

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Along with all the excellent advice I'd like to add that the cheapest route for you right now would be to get a decent pair of headers, convert to dual exhaust and performance muffler (no glass packs) and a transmission shift kit (if you have an auto trans). For brakes, get premium quality shoes. For suspension, if it's in good shape, at least 1" sway bar in front. Oh, and get a K & N air filter.

Later on you can upgrade to disc brakes, bigger engine, and all the other goodies you'll be reading about.

Dean T

(If your cousins have a '93 RX-7 TT or a 396 Nova, the above won't help) *G*

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts