Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 69 351w with a pushrod that managed to "mushroom".
i then went to a performance machine shop to get a replacement pushrod but it's a little bit longer than the original by either 1/8" or 3/16", i haven't measured just eyeballed it. i want to know what happens if i can't find a rod the right length, should i just get a new set and replace all or should i try to get the same length as the others? what happens if i end up with a set where they are all either longer or shorter than the original?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
If its a stock engine, you don't need different sized pushrods. In fact if you get longer or shorter push rods, you mess up the geomtrey of the valve train. Now if you have heads that are aftermarket, Your going to need to get it checked with a pushrod checker to find the right size. crane cams has a how-to on their pushrod checker and it's nice info to know.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I bought a set of stock pushrods for my 69 351W from Advance for $.99 each. Can't beat that! They were the same length as the ones I took out of the engine. It took me awhile to find a straight one to compare them to, though. ;) Gotta love PO's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts