Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took mine apart last night to check the internals, It looks pretty straight forward to put back together. When I undid the last bolt the springs kicked it apart on my floor haha. I have a few exploded views.
1. Do you guys have any tips or hints to watch for when putting it back together?
2. What should I coat the gears if at all? (oil,wd40,gear lube)
3. Does it matter which way the middle spider gear goes back in as long as the gears all mate up? is there a wrong way.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Snap me some pictures of your "disassembled" unit, and I should be able to help. First need to determine which generation Locker you have. No need to get yourself too worried.

Don

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yes I know the spring purch is upside down

Can this middle gear go in backwards? or does it matter?

see i fixed the purch

Gears look good, I will repack with grease and go with it .
So I guess from the 3 original ?? I am down to the one above about the middle gear

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The central ramp assy should work properly in either direction. I highly recommend you take some steel wool and elbow grease to the outer housing pieces or else dunk them in a mixture of molasses and water for about a week. 20 parts water to 1 part molasses. Feed grade is what you want. This creates a mild phosphoric acid wash and will deal nicely with the rust issues. Before you invest a whole lot of time and/or money, check the bearing bosses, Make sure the previous bearings haven't spun and damaged the surface. If slightly damaged, some locktite bearing mount will help. Oh, when you do assemble, don't use grease, use the same lube you would fill the finished axle with.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Don

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i am reporting back after a week in the "solution"
Worked like a charm!!! All rust is gone. I used 12 oz in a 5 gallon buck of water. took it out and dried it and coated with oil.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Glad to hear it. Now really get down to work on your inspection.

Side gears should fit the case halves without excessive play. Springs should not have any nicks or heavy corrosion pits. Same with the spring seats. The central ramp/coupler assy looked pretty good in your pictures, but clean it as best you can. Do not lube with grease; axle lube only.

Check those bearing journals carefully. Any damage here from spun bearings, makes the unit a heavy paperweight.

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts