Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

After a long time of searching Google, this Forum and others, and Youtube, I'm now posting here as I can't find the exact answers to my question and hoping this thread will serve to help others in the same boat in the future.

I have a 1968 non-AC car that I want to put AC in to. I'm still doing my homework on VA, CAA, and OA. My research has led me to believe that I need to source the 3 dash components, and then each of the aftermarket AC providers connect into those OEM components. After months of looking on eBay I found and bought a very nice center vent, but am still trying to source the AC control panel on drivers side and vent on passenger side. My dash is the standard black camera case pieces and in looking at 1968 interior pics online (like the one below) it does appear that there's a camera case AC control panel despite the fact I've never seen a single one come up for sale online.

A couple of questions for the experts here:
1. Other than eBay, does anybody know where who else might sell the black camera AC control panel? Or if somebody had one here that were looking to part with, that would be amazing.
2. Here's an example of a 68 AC control panel but's it not the black camera case. My question though is do I require the OEM guts for the 3 aftermarket AC units above? The units above don't appear to come with 'guts' of their own, so I'm assuming they plug into the OEM controller wire harness? If so, then what about all the OEM vacuum ports?

Bottom line: I'm assuming if need to source all three of the OEM AC vent/controller components (including the controller guts) and any of the three aftermarkets will be plug n play. Am I correct in this assumption?

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,119 Posts
I don't believe they're plug and play. The ones I've seen replace the vacuum valves with electric controls. But you will need the stock ac controls. Iirc west coast Cougars reproduced the side vents.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,119 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for offering this up. I've looked here but the they're the stainless deluxe model. I don't see one on the site in the black camera case style to match the rest of my dash.

Npd carries the reproduction side vents also.
Have been on their site but couldn't find anything in the black camera case style. Nor did the AC control unit have the guts in it. Maybe I'm looking in the right place?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
36,468 Posts
My dash is the standard black camera case pieces and in looking at 1968 interior pics online (like the one below) it does appear that there's a camera case AC control panel despite the fact I've never seen a single one come up for sale online.
Here's one-

·
Registered
36,468 Posts
But since you are not doing a concours restoration, something like this would do the job-

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ Pretty sure that's the Vintage Air, yes? I could go that way... but my only reservation would be that the vent and control panel are not the black camera case finish. This may be what I end up having to do.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I’ve been through this, I r searched the 68 A/C systems extensively and tracked down all the parts to add a 100 restored original one into my 68.

The reason you can’t find the control unit is that in 68 Ford assumed they had to make the A/C vents crash safe, so they made them break away. The side pieces are thin frames that the A/C vents fit into. Unfortunately the frames are VERY fragile and most have long broken.
If they aren’t too bad, they can be fixed with epoxy from behind and the fix is invisible.

When West Coast Classic Cougars decided to reproduce these parts they redesigned them as a single piece like in 67. They aren’t exactly original but look very good. You are incorrect in thinking they only sell deluxe chrome versions. All of the 68 registers are the same. For a basic car Ford added a camera case appliqué (sticker) to the front. Deluxe cars had them painted brown to match the woodgrain dash panel.

I have several of the switch mechanisms if you need them. Most of the parts you need are available from WCCC or Classic Auto air. Your best best however is to find a complete used setup to restore. I see them for sale fairly often.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,360 Posts
I've only messed with '67 ones and I went with the "Deluxe interior" style. That meant I got plain chrome vents and then had to buy the 1967-only brushed aluminum inserts instead of camera case ones. The 1968 Deluxe versions take woodgrain inserts. Without looking at a catalog real quick I would have thought there would be camera case inserts available too. I've never seen any used without any inserts at all.

·
Registered
226 Posts
When I'm looking for hard to find parts I use searchtempest.com. It lets you do a entire US search of Craigslist, I've seen the parts on there for your '68 so try it out. I know there is a guy in the northeast that has all a/c parts. Just type in 1968 Mustang and GO!
I'm currently searching for a '68 GT foglight grille and can't believe how hard they've gotten to find. They used to be everywhere for $250, I can't find one now :(
Good luck,
Walt

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve been through this, I r searched the 68 A/C systems extensively and tracked down all the parts to add a 100 restored original one into my 68.

The reason you can’t find the control unit is that in 68 Ford assumed they had to make the A/C vents crash safe, so they made them break away. The side pieces are thin frames that the A/C vents fit into. Unfortunately the frames are VERY fragile and most have long broken.
If they aren’t too bad, they can be fixed with epoxy from behind and the fix is invisible.

When West Coast Classic Cougars decided to reproduce these parts they redesigned them as a single piece like in 67. They aren’t exactly original but look very good. You are incorrect in thinking they only sell deluxe chrome versions. All of the 68 registers are the same. For a basic car Ford added a camera case appliqué (sticker) to the front. Deluxe cars had them painted brown to match the woodgrain dash panel.

I have several of the switch mechanisms if you need them. Most of the parts you need are available from WCCC or Classic Auto air. Your best best however is to find a complete used setup to restore. I see them for sale fairly often.
Great info here Flade! I've sent a PM.

I've only messed with '67 ones and I went with the "Deluxe interior" style. That meant I got plain chrome vents and then had to buy the 1967-only brushed aluminum inserts instead of camera case ones. The 1968 Deluxe versions take woodgrain inserts. Without looking at a catalog real quick I would have thought there would be camera case inserts available too. I've never seen any used without any inserts at all.
The deluxe chrome units are plentiful. Putting the black camera finish inserts on them is a great idea. I've been looking for the past hour, but can't seem to find them anyway. Do you have any leads?

When I'm looking for hard to find parts I use searchtempest.com. It lets you do a entire US search of Craigslist, I've seen the parts on there for your '68 so try it out. I know there is a guy in the northeast that has all a/c parts. Just type in 1968 Mustang and GO!
I'm currently searching for a '68 GT foglight grille and can't believe how hard they've gotten to find. They used to be everywhere for $250, I can't find one now :(
Good luck,
Walt
Oh I a huge fan of searchtempest. I literally LIVED in that when i was looking for my Fastback. I was searched the entire left half of the US. It's an awesome tool. I'll try it out for this project too.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I've wondered about this myself, though I'm nowhere near ready to add AC to my own car right now I'm always keeping an eye out on the 67 AC parts.

I just went out looking and found some close up pics of a 67 black AC control panel and it looks like there's a little bit of camera case finish at the top, but the rest is just painted black. I still haven't found any camera case vinyl to stick on the top, but I thought it was interesting that most of it's just paint.

Let's see if I can link a pic here:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts

When West Coast Classic Cougars decided to reproduce these parts they redesigned them as a single piece like in 67. They aren’t exactly original but look very good. You are incorrect
Good luck,
Walt
Just modify your current grill. That’s all Ford did! There is a template that shows you where to cut. The only other difference is that Ford painted the grill in two different colors. The difference is so subtle that 99% of people don’t even know it. One color is the standard flat black. The other is a little more bluish. It is similar to the 65 grill color.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
For service parts, the Ford basic part number for the heater control is 18A651 (camera case/brushed aluminum/wood grain finish). The equivalent assembly with optional air conditioning is a combination of parts 19980 (base control) and 19C696 (camera case/brushed aluminum/wood grain finish)

The center and right hand vents are 19893 (RH and center) (camera case/brushed aluminum/wood grain finish) It should be noted that the 67 and 68 versions carry different part numbers. It was stated before that the LH (19C696) and RH (19893) vents for 1968 are of a break-away safety design. I'm not sure why the 68 center piece would be unique.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've wondered about this myself, though I'm nowhere near ready to add AC to my own car right now I'm always keeping an eye out on the 67 AC parts.

I just went out looking and found some close up pics of a 67 black AC control panel and it looks like there's a little bit of camera case finish at the top, but the rest is just painted black. I still haven't found any camera case vinyl to stick on the top, but I thought it was interesting that most of it's just paint.

Let's see if I can link a pic here:
This is a 67 and would probably work just fine for me. The 68 have the names at the top next to the screws, and I'm guessing that due to the larger buttons. These are the black camera case finish and what I'm looking for though.

This looks close to the right stuff.

I used to have the pieces for use on the center vent, but gave them to another member a couple years back since I was going with the deluxe woodgrain. Can’t remember where I got them.
I'm bookmarking these, Flade. A good option if I end up with a deluxe set and need to put black over it. Thanks!

For service parts, the Ford basic part number for the heater control is 18A651 (camera case/brushed aluminum/wood grain finish). The equivalent assembly with optional air conditioning is a combination of parts 19980 (base control) and 19C696 (camera case/brushed aluminum/wood grain finish)

The center and right hand vents are 19893 (RH and center) (camera case/brushed aluminum/wood grain finish) It should be noted that the 67 and 68 versions carry different part numbers. It was stated before that the LH (19C696) and RH (19893) vents for 1968 are of a break-away safety design. I'm not sure why the 68 center piece would be unique.
Awesome information. Great to have this documented in this thread.

I'm still on the lookout for this stuff if anybody has leads. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts