Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Well, as my car has almost made it into the paint shop, it is time to start thinking about putting it back together. This is where some questions come up.

Because the car is getting a quality respray from bare metal, it is completely stripped. Only the dash area and engine bay were not cleared from their anciliaries. The reason is that the interior paint has already been done, as has the engine bay. Everything else has been taken off the car.

All sheetmetal that could be taken off is off, this means that the car is virtually noseless and that the rear is missing a trunklid, Q.extensions and valence.

Now how should I proceed with the rebuild??

Do I put on all sheetmetal and exterior trim before starting on wiring in the radio and replacing the interior and all of the glass?

Or, do I start with the interior from the headliner, working down to a totally completed interior with glass before putting on the sheetmetal. The wiring will then be the second thing after the headliner is in place.

I'm thinking best approach is starting the interior from the headliner. Then putting in the roof rail metal and weatherstrip. After that I would do the rear quarter windows and then the doors completely. When windows and doors are properly aligned, I'd finish off the interior by putting in the easy to fit stuff.

This would leave me with a closed cabine, which is god because the car has to stay outside under a carport during the rebuild.

I was thinking that after that I could simply build up the exterior.

What do you people think, with all your experience!

TIA

Columbo

First time '66 Mustang rolling restoration, nearing completion.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
You are about three months behind me. I would strongly recommend that you get the headliner installed first. The the windshield and rear glass. Don't forget to install the window trim clips on the front and rear glass openings. Make sure you use the FORD clips. the ones NPD sells are way too strong, and will cause some paint chips when you install the trim. I would also not install the fenders until you get the windshield and trim installed up front. Also, the headlight buckets/grille are still off, and won't go back in until I get all wiring, radiator, etc installed.

Good luck...

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips, I hope I'll get some more views on this. But, I agree about headliner and windows.

When is your deadline? In my car the engine is in and runs, so for me putting the interior and exterior back together after painting is the last step for now. Except for replacing the leafs on my car.

I redid the engine bay to make it look a bit better. I was not aiming concours here. But, the interior and exterior will look original without mods. Though some parts are repro.

I wish you the best of luck as well!

Columbo

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Deadline is April 20. I am going to FFF show at Knotts on the 22nd. Only item I am really concerned about is getting the car back to the body shop for some touchup work and final polish. Body shops appear to be right up there with DMV and Doctor's offices for delays.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the tips.

Hope everything will go right when I get there...

Columbo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts