Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn POs:

My old emblems fell off so I ordered new ones.

Here is my problem...There are no visible mounting holes for the emblems. Is there a way to find holes/make holes. Any good sources for getting the correct places for the emblems on the front panels (the horse and mustang letters)

Thanks.

Slade

·
Registered
501 Posts
Remove the rear splash sheilds and look to the inside of the fender. If there are holes you will see them. If not then you have repo fenders and will need more instructions on how to drill the holes to the correct location.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
No holes left behind when the emblems fell off? What held them on - double sided tape? Heck, maybe you should just go that same route again, and avoid drilling into your metal.

Otherwise, I believe you can get a template from most vendors. I know the GT templates are everywhere.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
Very few paint jobs are so good as to hide the emblem holes. Hopefully you still have at least one of each emblem. Use it as a guide to get a rough (4-6") idea where the emblem is supposed to go. Then, look at the paint in all different kinds of light, and I'd be willing to bet you'll see where the holes were filled in with body filler. Otherwise, either 1. you have a VERY good paint job/body man, or 2. you have repro fenders or patches.

Drill out the filler with a small drill bit, press in the spring clips, then install emblem. Drink beer and admire work. You're done.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Worse...it looks like glue...and looks like arse now...

I'm going to see if I can find the holes...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saw you post and took some measurements for you. They are as accurate as I could get using a 1" tape measure. There are 6 holes on the fender, 3 for the Mustang and 3 for the horse badge. I hung the tape measure perpendicular from the top edge of the fender, and parallel from the side of the fender by the door.
The first hole is 15 3/4 down and 7 9/16 from the left edge.
The second is 14 3/4 down and 11 5/8 in.
The third is 15 3/4 down and 11 5/8 in.
The fourth is 13 7/8 down and 13 1/4 in.
The fifth is 16 5/8 down and 13 1/2 in.
The sixth is 14 3/4 down and 14 9/16 in.
This is as close as I could get. I did not force the tape to follow the body contour when hanging perpendicular. Hope it helps.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
1 Get new emblems. They will have the pins that yours lacks.

2 The are little collars that go on the pins. Get those too!

3 Put a piece of masking tape on a smooth piece of plastic.

4 Push the emblem pins through the tape and plastic. Now you have the exact spacing for the pins.

5 Peel the tape off of the plastic and tape it to the fender.

6 with a sharp center punch mark the holes on the tape onto the fender

6 Drill the holes.

7 Push the emblems in.

Easy if you know how! Oh and take your time!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts