Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

If you've read my previous post, you'll know why I ask.

The front of the car, I mean the headlight buckets and grille slightly overlap. This means freshly painted metal has to slide into place over other freshly paintet metal.

I'm worried that I might damage the paint in doing so. As the grille piece was quite a tight fit.

What is the best way to fit the front back onto the car. I was thinking about sliding everything together on the ground then lifting it inplace with some help and fastening it.

Or should I just fasten the grille and then slide in the headlight buckets?

Any tips?

Columbo

First time '66 Mustang rolling restoration, nearing completion.

G

·
0 Posts
in the past I have totally assembled the front end 'chunk' with the grille and everything attached to where all i had to do was install the 4 bolts on each headlight bucket, the 2 bolts at the top of the grille and the little 5/16" screw at the bottom of the grille support. only problem with this is you are taking a crap-shoot at the fit.
Best thing to do is put the headlight buckets on the lower grill support and start the screws. Put it up to the car and tighten everything down to where it fits. Then, install the grill, install the grill mouldings and then the horse/coral with bars already attached. If the bars are crooked you can loosen the bar screw with a wrench and get it right. You need to walk about 15-20 foot away from the car to check the fit and alignment of the front end parts.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wow, you are not hangin about are you. Don't forget to get me a new piccy or two for your page when you are done.

Hope to hear from you soon dear.

Love Melanie

[color:red]67 Coupe. 200CID.</font color=red> http://sally67.stangnet.com

Keeping the men on their toes! "GET INLINE" /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to all for the tips.

Hope everything will go right when I get there...

Columbo

First time '66 Mustang rolling restoration, nearing completion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts