Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the dash apart and am in the process of turning the odometer back to 0 to reflect milage since the new drivetrain is in. I know it's illegal or whatever but I'm never going to sell it and it's a good way to keep things organized. So i figured out how to turn the numbers, I got all the little teeth lines up and the 0's even but whats the process of putting it back together? I didn't really see it come out, do the teeth go in some kind of rail or what? Any help/advise? Or even something to make sure I did right? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
646 Posts
The teeth should all line up and be flush with the speedometer itself. I used a paperclip to hold all of the teeth in alignment while I changed the numbers to reflect zero miles. The teeth do not need a rail...they simply sit flushly against the back of the speedo allowing the numbers to slightly protrude from the front. Once the numbers read zero, carefully place the odometer back into the speedo, making sure that the flat side of all the teeth line up properly. You can then reattach the spring that held the one side in. I hope this helps...if you have any other questions, feel free to either email or pm me.

Deathman68

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
All the little hooks have to be aligned on the rail. The rail is what holds them in position as the lower order spool turns. If not on the rail, you'll have a misaligned odometer after running for only a few miles.

Its not illegal to turn the odometer back. The thing you have to do is to declare that you've changed it when the title transfers. Record the current mileage, then when you transfer the title during a sale, add both the new reading and the old reading when filling in the mileage on the title transfer forms. If you do this, you're perfectly legal. Why? All states laws provide for changing the odometer to fix one that's broken and this is how you handle the legal aspect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts