Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm been posting a lot of questions lately because this forum has been extremely helpful and I've learned a lot. My front left blinker stopped working. I got to the turn signal switch and took apart the cancel cam. On the turn signal switch there are 4 metal points, 2 of which are for the turn signals and 2 for the rear brake lights. Using my multimeter, I measured the amps by touching the turn signal contact point on the turn signal switch with the contact metal bar on the cancel cam. The front left signal contact gave me no power. I know the line from the contact point to the harness underneath the steering wheel is fine based on an Ohms test. I'm puzzled. What would cause the contact point to not work?

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1966. Checking the amp just to see of there's any current flowing through. Here's the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ok...this is typical when all else looks normal. These bulbs SUCK to put it mildly. The two point contact on the back, as well as ground often lose contact somewhere in the bulb housing. I've actual had new bulbs where the contacts and the pins werent clocked correctly, and bulbs never make proper contact. My suggestion, clean the contacts in the housing, check the bulb contact to make sure they're not worn, and do a visual to insure the bulb rotates properly to make contact. I've had scenarios requiring I replace perfectly good bulbs that didnt, wouldn't contact properly, other scenarios where simply removing the bulb and replacing it fixed the prob.

·
Registered
850 Posts
If you want to check the turn signal switch you can check continuity between the 44 & 3 wire terminals at the plug with the left turn signal on. Do you have voltage at the contact in the turn signal socket?

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not a bulb issue, because the same bulb turns on with the parking lights and regular headlights. I checked resistance between 44 and 3 and it's a closed circuit, so it's good. As for voltage, how would I check for it at the contact? The positive goes on the contact but where would I put the negative to check for voltage with the turn signal on?

·
Registered
850 Posts
They are two filaments in the bulb, one for turn signal and one for parking lights so your observation is not valid. Swap it with the right side if it is good. Voltage check is to any good ground or battery (-).

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again, I don't think its a bulb issue because it was working fine until recently. There's no power where the wire on the cancel cam touches the front left turn signal sensor on the switch

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I don't have turn light indicators in the dash. I used my multimeter to check the voltage on the green/white wire coming from the turn signal switch with the left turn signal in the on position, and it looks like there's power. So the problem is likely somewhere between the wire that attaches to that and runs all the way to the front turn signal light.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts