Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who have converted old manual, single master cyl system to power dual master... Did you worry about cross-lines, e.g. front right/rear left wheels on one master cyl line and front left/rear right on the other? Or just rear on one and front on the other?

White `66 coupe with `70 302
Just remember...wherever you go..there you are..buying gas again.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'm not sure what your asking but, Both fronts went to front port on new mastercylinder, both rear
brakes went to rear port on MS. Disk brakes go to the bigger side of the MS. Hope I'm on target here.

1966 Mustang Coupe, 302 custom roller cam, holley 650dp,http://www.289mustang.com
http://www.289mustang.com/images/vmfcar.jpg

·
Registered
408 Posts
I would not recommend splitting as you suggest. The systems weren't designed that way. I can't give you a good engineering reason way but I wouldn't do it.

Scott
National Parts Depot
1965 Conv:Street driven concours
1966 Coupe: Daily driver and toy

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I think this is especially critical with cars with front discs rear drums. I've heard of front/back side to side splitting but I think that's on cars with 4 wheel discs. The different characteristics of drum vs disc would not allow the split without some other means to keep the rear drum from locking up before the front disc. Plus the usual MC have a larger reservoir for the disc/ front brakes. Not sure what cars with the split brakes use.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had cars in which the dual master was split corner-to-corner for safety's sake--in case one half of the master cyl goes out, you don't lose all of one end of the car's braking...that's why I asked the question. My `66 has drums on all corners.

White `66 coupe with `70 302
Just remember...wherever you go..there you are..buying gas again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts