Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening I finally got around to getting under my '69 convertible to diagnose where the power steering has been leaking. The good news is that it's not the PS pump. It appears that either the pressure or return hose is leaking at the lower fitting where the rubber meets the metal line.

I also noticed that the boot on the power steering cylinder is broken into multiple sections and not doing much to keep dirt off the cylinder.

My question is - How hard are these two repairs and what do I need to complete them? I know I need the boot kit and both hoses, but is there anything else? Will I need any special tools (all I have is standard hand tools)? Finally, do I need to remove the PS pump to get at the hose connections? It looks like I might have to since there isn't a lot of room there (this is a 351W car with power disc front brakes).

I'm pretty much a newbie at DIY, since it's been 30 years or more since I last worked on a car, so any and all advice is welcome.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Mach1Pilot,
They are pretty straightfoward repairs, unbolt the cylinder at the bracket & replace the boot. As for the p/s leak you have to first find out which hose is actually leaking & replace it. No special tools needed here. What I have done to find a p/s leak before is I get under the car & have someone start it up & turn the wheel & you watch for which hose the fliud is comming out of. You can get the replacement p/s hoses from any number of Mustang parts venders. Hope that helps you out. ::

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike, thanks for the response.

I did get under the car and clean everything up. Then I refilled the pump with fluid, started the car, turned the wheel back and forth a few times, then got back under the car. I saw that one of the hoses was leaking (it was the only one with fresh fluid on it. I just didn't trace it back to see if it was the pressure or return hose. I'm thinking that the effort to replace one pretty much makes it worth doing both while I'm there.

Do you know if I have to dismount the PS pump in order to get to the hose attachments to replace them?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Removing the pump might make accessing the connections easier, but may not be necessary.

You'll need a set of line wrenches. Don't use regular box end wrenches or you'll round the fitting.

Replace all the hoses, even the short ones from the control valve to the cylinder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts