Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a good 65 fender extension/headlight assembly? I have the original doors, and bought some reproductions from MU a while back. The repros are terrible. I did the work to get them to fit with the fenders, but now looking at attaching the doors, with the lines streight, the bottom 2 holes are off by 1/4" and there is no way to get the screws to even touch anything to attach to.

My originals are broken in the normal place (top by hood) so using them is not an option. They wont hold form, allowing too much fender gap.

I have considered the MTF upper nose but I would like to try to keep it steel if I can. Also want to keep it looking mostly original on the outside. I assume originals are probably rare and expensive at this point too?

What have others done at this point?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I don't think originals are expensive or hard to find honestly...especially not for 65-66...I have 2 sets myself....its the louvered section that is harder to find. My first stop would be Craigslist...see if you can track down a set locally(if you can't find it on your local craigslist you can expand the search by mileage using sites like searchtempest, which searches all Craigslist listings within a given radius)...but your best resource is other locals who own vintage mustangs...everyone who has one has a few extra parts around(sometimes a lot more than a few). Aside from that...you can always modify your aftermarket ones...even if it means cutting and welding...a PITA but always possible

·
Registered
35,890 Posts
You can repair the originals with the "kit" commercially available but with one modification which is drilling and using pop-rivets in addition to the 2-part epoxy to affix the repair pieces. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I had a handful or originals, and picked those that fit the best.
Being originals, they were broken in the tab area, and I fixed one using the kit and rivets.
I spent a lot of time getting the extensions to fit the fender, adding All Metal, filing, sanding, refitting, repeating until a good fit was achieved.
You don't have to go through all of the fitting, but it was fun and the finished product is a huge improvement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts