Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting ready to install my new tremec tko 600 into my 69 fastback with a 302 and noticed several cracks in my engine mounts.

Is anyone out there making a quality replacement mount now? I have done a search on the site with most of the responses being several years old.

I'm assuming Polyurethane is not preferred due to the possible vibration issues?

I don't want to install mounts that will raise the engine any further than it is. Some posters responded on those old threads to polyurethane mounts raising the nose of their engines by almost 1 inch!

With a rubber replacement I can also consider bolting them through the rubber for safety.

Thanks...........

John

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 351 cleveland..same mount as 302. I ordered mount 2257 from CJ Pony and they were very cheap looking. Metal frame was not as thick as my old ones, which I have no idea if they are original...I doubt it. New Motor mounts were thinner overall, so engine height would have changed. The deal breaker was where the holes were drilled...2 were drilled in the bend of the metal ear area that attaches to the block. Poor quality! And I had to pay return shipping. I'm using my old ones. I would suggest taking your mounts to auto parts store and comparing side be side. If anyone has had good luck finding quality mounts, let me know!

·
Registered
35,245 Posts
I have a 351 cleveland..same mount as 302. I ordered mount 2257 from CJ Pony and they were very cheap looking. Metal frame was not as thick as my old ones, which I have no idea if they are original...I doubt it. New Motor mounts were thinner overall, so engine height would have changed. The deal breaker was where the holes were drilled...2 were drilled in the bend of the metal ear area that attaches to the block. Poor quality! And I had to pay return shipping. I'm using my old ones. I would suggest taking your mounts to auto parts store and comparing side be side. If anyone has had good luck finding quality mounts, let me know!
The mounts I mention at Rock are Anchor, which apart from having rubber flash all over the place (which must be removed to use them) are strong and excellent. I agree there are some cheap crap mounts out there.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you are ok with spending some bucks on a set of really good mounts Mustangs Unlimited P/N FM12-10
I put these in my 68 with 400+ hp because they are designed so that even if the rubber was to break, they will still hold the engine in place.

·
Registered
35,245 Posts
If you are ok with spending some bucks on a set of really good mounts Mustangs Unlimited P/N FM12-10
I put these in my 68 with 400+ hp because they are designed so that even if the rubber was to break, they will still hold the engine in place.
You mean these?

·
Registered
298 Posts
You mean these?

No
Sorry I don't know how to post a picture of them but the part number
is FM 12 for my 68, they are called locking motor mounts.
If you have a MU catalogue they are on page 98 or you can check their website, I love these mounts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts