Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 weeks of honey do's I finally am getting some time to work on my mustang. Everything was looking up when I got home last night. The new dashpad that I got for $44.00 from a certain auction site came in. It is in real good shape and fits perfect. Decided that I should pull the interior to get a better look at the floor pans (even though they looked clean and solid from the underside). I discoverd that the PO's name must have been half a$$. He had apparently patched the pans from the underside and that is what was hiding it, Yep yu guessed it RUST. as it turns out both of the front floor pans are rusted out where they connect to the piece that connects to the firewall. Fortunatley the rest of the floor is in real good shape. Event the paint is clean. Well now I am really bummed, what I thought was a real solid car is not quite so solid. I realize that it can be fixed, and a friend has already offered to repair all of the rust for me at no cost other than material, but it is still depressing.

I have not done this type of stuff before so I am wondering what kind of problems I can expect with repairing the floor? The friend that is going to help has replaced pans before and I really trust him. He restores corvette frames for people quite often and fabs race cars as well. I just hope this is not indicitave of what this entire project is going to be like

·
Registered
637 Posts
You have a friend that is offering to do the repairs for the cost of the materials, and you are depressed?!?! 9 out of 10 of these cars have some issue with rust, so don't feel too bad. Just do a thorough check over the rest of the car. Rear frame rails where the shackles bolt on area common point of weakness as well as in the trunk (especially be the drop-offs on the sides. Doesn't sound like your car is too bad though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts