Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
6,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Thought we might throw out some ideas on projects we are working on in our garages while we are practicing social distancing.

SO...my weekend quarantine project was tearing down a 115,000 Mile USDM Subaru EJ205 that we pulled out of my kids 2004 WRX a year ago (we replaced it with a used JDM engine at the time). This was the original engine to the car and was pulled after a misfire in #1 cylinder code was traced back to (essentially) zero compression in the #1 cylinder. The other 3 cylinders were in the 130 range on my gauge. The kid is home from college on spring break so he helped me get it on an engine stand and then I got it torn down pretty much to the long block. These EJ205's are notorious for having ringland issues so that's my prime suspect...cracked ring land in #1 piston won't hold compression....but it could just be a bad exhaust valve. Getting the cams out (specifically getting the cam gears off) requires a special tool I don't have, so I'm on hold waiting for that to show up. I have to take the cams out to get to the head bolts.

Oh well. Spent a few hours on it this weekend and it was low stress. After all, the car has an engine in it that's running fine. In fact, I have no idea what I'm going to do with this engine once I diagnose the problem. Wisest thing might be to part it out. We'll see.

Anyone else get to that project you never thought you'd get to while sheltering in place?

Phil

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Ive had a turkey in the freezer for 2 1/2 years. Is it safe to eat?

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Building the garage, fixing things.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
No idea . Everyone in my house , wife and 2 kids , are all working .

·
Premium Member
5,280 Posts
Helped my stepdad swap out his oil fired water heater for electric. He's almost 80, we disconnected the old system completely but the installing company still hosed him royally. I tried to talk him into doing the complete job our selves but he insisted on having them do it. We basically did 80% of the work. They soaked him $125/hr for the complete job,as if they did the complete job, phucking crooks!!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Working from home and found my home office setup just didn't quite suit me for all day and been wanting to make a few changes. Moved the desk around, I have moved lighter pianos! Got it where I can see out the window, may move some deer heads around. May find me a more comfortable, antiquey looking office chair.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts