Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring a '65 I-6... From the discussions I've read here, the quarter chrome molding could be deleted on the order sheet if a pinstripe was ordered.

I'm having the bodyshop fill in the mounting holes (weld) for the quarter trim, because I think my color (Silver Smoke) will look better without chrome. However, I'm wondering if it was possible to order the trim delete without adding a pinstripe?

If I do have the pinstripe, I understand it needs to be painted on (imagine it would be best to have it under the clearcoat), and I believe it needs to be red- since that is the interior color. Really though, would rather skip the pinstripe.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
When I ordered my 64 1/2 vert in May 1964 I wanted no chrome scoop. Asked if I could get the chrome scoop trim deleted without the rocker molding or pinstripe answer was no! Turned out I liked the pin stripe but later removed the rocker molding!

·
Registered
839 Posts
sprint package deleted the chrome piece and included the pinstripe.

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
It was either/or on a coupe or convertible. That is, either the chrome or the pinstripe. It was painted, 3/32", 1/8" from the body line. Yours would be red.

Only fastbacks and GT's had neither chrome or stripe.

The stripe is a rarely-seen option, and on your Silver Smoke, a red stripe would gather a crowd.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
It was either/or on a coupe or convertible. That is, either the chrome or the pinstripe. It was painted, 3/32", 1/8" from the body line. Yours would be red.

Only fastbacks and GT's had neither chrome or stripe.

The stripe is a rarely-seen option, and on your Silver Smoke, a red stripe would gather a crowd.

See it on my sig 64 1/2.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the info- seems if I don't have the chrome, I need to have the stripe (and if I have to have one, red on silver would probably look pretty sharp)!

Next question- I'm guessing the stripe be applied after the clearcoat? I've read it needs to be 3/32", drawn 1/8" from the body line.

Slim- if I understand you correctly, I also need to add rocker molding as well- right?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Thanks for the info- seems if I don't have the chrome, I need to have the stripe (and if I have to have one, red on silver would probably look pretty sharp)!

Next question- I'm guessing the stripe be applied after the clearcoat? I've read it needs to be 3/32", drawn 1/8" from the body line.

Slim- if I understand you correctly, I also need to add rocker molding as well- right?
That's what I was told way back in May of 64. I would seek info from an expert on the whole model year.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The way I always understood it,Talking strictly about Non G.T. coupes and convertibles. in 65 If you had quarter chrome you had no rocker moldings and if you had rockers moldings you had a pinstripe (also known as a "Tiffany stripe" )without quarter chrome.In 66 Quarter chrome and rocker moldings were standard . I believe they referred to the rocker/pinstripe package as exterior decor. I think silver smoke grey is an awesome color.I'm curious as to what interior you are going with?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information!
I think silver smoke grey is an awesome color.

The original exterior was Wimbledon White. I wanted to go with something offered in '65 (anything but red- just too many out there already). I settled on Silver Smoke, but the family had wanted Silver Blue. Then 22GT pointed out the interior color we planned on wasn't a factory option with Silver Blue, and that managed to agree us all on the grey.

I'm curious as to what interior you are going with?

The original interior was standard red (25), and we're sticking with it. The silver/red combo should be pretty sharp, I think.

My hope is to have an exceptional daily driver- so there are going to be some "drive-ability" changes (plan to substitute a T-5 for the factory 3 speed, have a more efficient compressor for the factory A/C, installing a brake booster for the drums, and eventually rack and pinion). However, I would also like to be able to show up to a meet or show and at least be able to be somewhat "correct" in appearance.

I actually already have Drake quarter moldings- which would look nice with the original white- but I think the silver will be best without it.

I'm guessing there is nothing on the body tag that notes the pinstripe/quarter delete option? I'm going to order a new tag with a "K" code for the paint (but to avoid trying to pass the car off as completely original, I figured I would replace the "1" for the 3 speed with a "T" for the T-5... since that code doesn't exist, it'll be obvious the tag is a replacement).

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The way I always understood it,Talking strictly about Non G.T. coupes and convertibles. in 65 If you had quarter chrome you had no rocker moldings and if you had rockers moldings you had a pinstripe (also known as a "Tiffany stripe" )without quarter chrome.In 66 Quarter chrome and rocker moldings were standard . I believe they referred to the rocker/pinstripe package as exterior decor. I think silver smoke grey is an awesome color.I'm curious as to what interior you are going with?
Never heard that before, but that may explain my conv. it has no holes in the quarters for the quarter trim. It does have some of the rocker trim clips still on it though. Doors and fenders are long gone i'll have to see if I can find evidence on the rusted quarters of the stripe.

I really like the silver smoke with red it'll make a great looking car.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Way back in my Mustang Monthly collection, there is a silver smoke with a red pinstripe and it looks good. The stripe was intended to be merely an accent, hence the thin 3/32" stripe. It's there-quietly. An !/8" stripe makes a big difference and it is too obvious. A car that stands out is a 66 Nightmist Blue Sprint cvt and it has an 1/8" white stripe. It looks out of place as the eye sees it first. Had an Ivy Green cpe new in 66. the accent stripe, at a distance was not visible. NOT to be seen first.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Not strictly correct. My 64 1/2 (65) has rocker moldings and quarter chrome ex factory.

GB

·
Registered
208 Posts
It was just called "Accent Stripe" on mine and it is red to match the red interior.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts