Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone shed some light on the quarter panel extension mounting hardware for 67? There are the following pieces:
1) 1/4-20 threaded studs, 3 per side
2) Mastic washers/seals, 6 per side
3) Zinc dichromate nut/washer combo, 3 per side
4) Zinc plated washers, 3 per side
5) Rubber seal, extension to body, 1 per side

Question: Where do the zinc plated washers go? No washer is needed inside the trunk area, because the nut that mounts to the 1/4-20 stud has an integrated washer. Do the zinc plated washers go between the quarter panel extension and body, i.e. they are hidden once the extension is mounted? If so, do the zinc metal washers go against the body or against the extension, followed by the mastic washer/seal?

A picture would be great, but there is insufficient detail shown in the Osborne assembly diagram. I don't see such detail in the shop manual.

Help please! Thanks.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on guys, a little help please? :) Somebody out there must have installed their own fastback quarter extensions. I don't understand where the flat zinc plated metal washers go and cannot find any picture or drawing to help.

-Angela

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Dunno if fastback quarter extensions mount differently. The ones on my driver vert I use a washer inside the quarter on each stud then a mastic nut on each stud. My guess is the extra 6 mastic washers go one on eah side of the flat washer then a captured washer/nut. The mastic washer/seals are probably to establish a seal at each mounting stud.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts