Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,
I am lining the rear quarters, filler panel below back glass, quarter panel extensions and tail light panel for installation. It will probably be a week or so before I start burning.
It looks like the panel below the back glass is going to be the challenge, I may have to work it around the contours with a little enticement and a lot of clamping and sheet metal screws....at the same time making sure it lines up with both quarters.
So many pieces in play at the same time makes me a little nervous. Get one point of contact lined up perfectly and five more are now out. Any tricks or real gotchas to watch for?
Anyone done it and wish they had done it a little different?
I have done a lot of remodeling where an old building is out of square and you have to "balance" and "spread" out the errors to make it look right but usually there is at least one point that has to be dead on. How 'bout here?
I do plan on reinstalling the deck lid as a reference.

P

·
0 Posts
Hunt, pictures would do us best in evaluating your situation. I also, don't like screws. If you want holes for alignment, use cleckos. Very easy to install and remove. Buy they smartly and they are not expensive at all.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hunt, pictures would do us best in evaluating your situation. I also, don't like screws. If you want holes for alignment, use cleckos. Very easy to install and remove. Buy they smartly and they are not expensive at all.
I will snap some pictures of the particular issues and post. In the mean time, that brings up another question that I do have pictures for. I am quite certain that the filler panel below the back glass overlaps the edge of the quarter panel BUT the rim on the panel is a tight crease and the one on the quarter is very wide and rounded. I am figuring I need to either open up that tight edge where it overlaps. Looking at the pictures, can you see what I am talking about and comment?
Both items are Dynacorn.

Attachments

P

·
0 Posts
I have never replaced that panel, so have never had this issue with the repro piece. But it seems, yes, you just need to open the folded part to match the other piece.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, quick update. I found my problem. Here is the quick description: The fill panel below the back glass seems to have all the right measurements BUT the lip on the side facing the back glass is not angled sharp enough. I pulled the original piece and the edge where it is bent down towards the weld edge is almost a right angle, I would guess about 80-85 degrees. The edge on the new piece is probably about 60-70 degrees. This means that when I line up the bottom edge along the trunk lid, the top edge along the glass sticks out too far. Aligning the top edge throws the bottom and the side edges off.
It looks like I am going to be spending several hours with mallet and wood blocks tapping and tapping. i suspect that I may also have to make a couple cuts in the lip to allow the inwards bends and then weld them back up.
The piece and angles are pointed out in this picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have access to heat/torch ?
MAP gas or carbon arc torch. I have used both for metal forming although the MAP is more controllable. The carbon arc is like whittling with a chainsaw....gets hot fast.

P

·
0 Posts
I use oxy/acet and of course a lot of heat. But it's not how much there is, it's how you apply it. Point being . . I think I would heat that area and form rather than do it cold.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use oxy/acet and of course a lot of heat. But it's not how much there is, it's how you apply it. Point being . . I think I would heat that area and form rather than do it cold.
My MAP will produce a lot of heat, but I happened to remember my brother has an oxy/acet sitting in the corner of his shop that he hasn't used in years.
Thanks for the idea, I am thinking that might be the way to go.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Man, musta fit my quarter and rear panel some 50 times before I did the first tack weld. new panels are nowhere near perfect so plan on cutting, shaping, and bending to get the right fit. BTW, you're on to something, much of the panels I replaced didn't have sharp enough bends in many places, and simple hand-tools and innovative thinking usually took car of the problem. Just remember, fit, fit again, and then fit one more time, and then when you're confident fit it one last time, walk away and then fit it one more time before you secure it. when its done pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, musta fit my quarter and rear panel some 50 times before I did the first tack weld. new panels are nowhere near perfect so plan on cutting, shaping, and bending to get the right fit. BTW, you're on to something, much of the panels I replaced didn't have sharp enough bends in many places, and simple hand-tools and innovative thinking usually took car of the problem. Just remember, fit, fit again, and then fit one more time, and then when you're confident fit it one last time, walk away and then fit it one more time before you secure it. when its done pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
lol...sounds like what I have been doing at times. Get everything in place then quit for the night and come back with mind clear.
When installing the cowl, I must have measured and remeasured a dozen times...and then installed the old fenders to make sure everything lined up. Probably took a week before I struck an arc.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
lol...sounds like what I have been doing at times. Get everything in place then quit for the night and come back with mind clear.
When installing the cowl, I must have measured and remeasured a dozen times...and then installed the old fenders to make sure everything lined up. Probably took a week before I struck an arc.
My indication of when it's time to go in for the night is when tools start disappearing!! Typically they're right there in front of me, but I'm so burnt that I don't see them! lol The next day- yup, right where I left them! :shrug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts