Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to install the chrome inserts in the quarter panel louverson my 66 fastback? I tried from the inside, but I'm having a problem getting the to fit. Help!!!!

Sobz

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
After removing the molding and upper facing, the air extractor will be exposed. Remove the nearly dozen 3/8" sheet metal screws and remove the inner slide mechanism and controller. Remove the six or eight tinnerman nuts holding the air extractor external grille in. Use care not to break the studs. Remove the air extractor grille assembly from the outside. Take to workbench. The chrome inserts are now removable. Take them apart, clean them up, mask and paint them, also paint the removable screens, reassemble and the air extractor will look a lot better. Note: only the inner panel with the slide control needs to be installed with weatherstrip adhesive. The outside needs no adhesive since water entering the grille is removed by the little tray and drain at the bottom of air extractor assembly. Its a good idea to check the drain tube and see that its not cracked or deteriorated. To get a really good look at it you'll need to remove the lower fiberglass panel. If its deteriorated, go to Ace Hardware (or other hardware store) and get a garbage disposal universal replacement hose. Trim it to fit the air extractor tray and it will be an almost exact replacement for the original part.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts