Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
my first post here, been around lurking a while but this is my first question.

I have a project ongoing, 67 fastback full rotisserie restore.

This is a bit of a budget restore, wife get's mad when I spend too much money on it.

Anyway, right below the upper vents on both sides the quarters are rusted through. What is the budget way to patch this...? I know I could buy new quarter skins and cut patches out, but the quarters are like 400 bucks each right? Only to cut such a small piece out is a waste. Do you think I can cut out the bad and take it to a local sheet metal fabricator and have him match the pieces I need? Anything I need to be aware of doing this?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi everyone,
my first post here, been around lurking a while but this is my first question.

I have a project ongoing, 67 fastback full rotisserie restore.

This is a bit of a budget restore, wife get's mad when I spend too much money on it.

Anyway, right below the upper vents on both sides the quarters are rusted through. What is the budget way to patch this...? I know I could buy new quarter skins and cut patches out, but the quarters are like 400 bucks each right? Only to cut such a small piece out is a waste. Do you think I can cut out the bad and take it to a local sheet metal fabricator and have him match the pieces I need? Anything I need to be aware of doing

this?
Posting pics would help. If it's completely away from the vent it will probably be easier, if it's apart of it, in which on the top of my head I'm not too familiar with, it may require a good metal fab guy. If you post pics I can comment more on that.

Metal fab can be simple at times and the easiest method is flattening it out and copying that piece marking the areas where there's creases, then you form it. About the only thing hard about it is fitment and making sure you made it with a little extra to shave down. For complicated ones I may even file the edges to perfect the fit cause I know I'll be doing an open butt weld. The smaller the gap the slower you must weld so the metal doesn't butt into each other.

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
Check with suppliers who also have used parts. They may be able to send you just this section from a used car. Glazier/Nolan is one such source. Alternatively, a good body "panel beater" could create the needed sections from plain metal, and section them in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts