Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took on a project 73 Mach 1. The guy that owned it before me thought it was all original, but I know it had been painted prob. in the 80's. This is the first mustang that I have personally owned, but not the first one I have worked on.

My question is on the quarter panels.....Both sides, from inside the trunk area have a seam all the way to the front of the panel, and a seam in the back straight down. Is it supposed to be like this? My guess is someone sectioned both quarters in at the same time, maybe due to rust?

I will also need to put a trunk floor pan in, where is a good reliable place to order from?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Normally a quarter panel is one piece overlapping the door post, joining the rocker panel, a joint to the tail light panel, a lip along the trunk gasket seal lip and finally up into the sail panel in the roof. Sometimes a skin is used rather than a full quarter panel. The 71-73 full quarter panels aren't readily availible, the skins are availible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, i was guessing it was quarter skins. I am a painter by trade, and have not gotten into alot of full resto's. It was my dad who has been in the collision business even since he was young that noticed the seams and pointed them out right away. They look well done, no rust. I guess my next question would be, if I were to fill & smooth the seams from the inside, and finish the inner quarters with a black splatter paint, or bedliner material, would this be a big turn off to a potential buyer or even more a judge?

·
Registered
30 Posts
If the car is to be judged, it's got to look as close to original as possible. Bed liner screams "coverup" . I have filled and sanded the inside seams, on a 65, and made it past several mca judges, at national shows. Not a real fun job, but requartering isn't either. If the car isnt a trailer queen, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Not many vintage mustangs carry all the original sheetmetal

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
Yeah, i was guessing it was quarter skins. I am a painter by trade, and have not gotten into alot of full resto's. It was my dad who has been in the collision business even since he was young that noticed the seams and pointed them out right away. They look well done, no rust. I guess my next question would be, if I were to fill & smooth the seams from the inside, and finish the inner quarters with a black splatter paint, or bedliner material, would this be a big turn off to a potential buyer or even more a judge?
The inner side of the quarters should be finished with sound deadener anyway, so you would actually be making it more "correct". This is a 68, so it's painted body color, your 73 would be a spatter paint, but this will give you the idea:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, this car is not going to be a trailer queen. It would be easier to customize, and make it however I felt. But I am in for the challenge of trying to make it as correct as possible, I am very picky and this will be a long term project. I just can't seem to find any pictures of a correct trunk for this year. If someone could point me into the direction of correct spatter paint and sound deadner it would be much appreciated. Thanks for everyones help so far!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts