Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get driver side rear quarter lined up and have a heck of time. Passenger side lines up ok. Only difference is I did replace the inner wheel well on passenger side - did not need to on driver side. But sitting 1/4 higher than I would like and about that much higher on driver than passenger. I also had another quarter from another project and no differences. I tried lining door up with lines and too big of gap at bottom - almost 5/8" , plus to make this work I would have to raise the fender more and would be higher than the cowl and not be flush. Plus because of vert sagging a little, if I try to close top door jamb gap with door adjustment - even a bigger gap at bottom. So I think my goal is to try to bring it down a little.

Here a picture but really does not tell much and be willing to take whatever pictures people like to see.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Can you eliminate the sag and see if that helps? Perhaps it's sagging more on the passenger side?\

Maybe a picture with the door closed?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will get more picts but any suggestion on how to get sag out. I tried jacking up the rear leaf a little may help a twidge but not sure if better way. Was goin gto put some subframe connectors at some point.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Is your new inner (assuming outer as well) wheel house welded in place? If the rear of the car was not supported when replacing this part, the rear of the car could have moved and added to this issue. Having the rear end housing in place didn't help either.

My suggestion; add jack stands to support the rear of the car at the rear cross member and see if your door gap has changed. Compare measurements with the other side of the car, having the rockers level front to back, left to right. IF your wheel house is welded in place, you might need to cut a few welds, re-position the chassis for proper fitment and alignment then weld it together once everything is where it needs to be.

ALWAYS adjust your doors (within reason) to the old quarters and front fenders and do not adjust them while you're installing new quarters. This should be your reference line to adjust the new parts to a known dimension. I would highly recommend getting your doors back to where you want them and fitting the quarter to the aligned door. The reproduced panels are not perfect, so you might have to do a little surgery to get all the lines in place. I choose to get the body lines correct and adjust door gap areas as needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts