Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys have been looking at the posts on this site for sometime now. Looks like quite a nice site and a friendly bunch of people. So I finally registered so I could join in on all the fun.

Has anyone ever done a Quarter panel on a 65? The drivers side is pretty beat up from and accident and it would be better to replace it rather than trying to straighten it out. Also I went down to the local mustang shop to order all of my sheet metal. I need to replace the outer wheel house on the Right side. When I told him that he told me that I would also have to replace the quarter. Which upset me because that quarter is all most perfect. Is there anyway to do this repair with out a quarter? And also is there anygood advice to make this repair a little easier?Thanks for the help guys and I am sure I will have plenty more posts coming.

Matt

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Regarding the right hand wheel well. Why are you replacing that, but think you have a good fender. Since you didn't say, I'm going to guess.

You have rust in the lower rear of the outer fender well. If so, you can just cut out that piece of the wheel well and weld in a replacement. Now, if you have rust here, you probably have rust in your lower quarter panel as well, and the recommendation to replace the quarter is warranted.

Give us a better idea of why you are doing the replacement as we can give you a better answer.

Regarding the drivers quarter, you can get a lower rear portion if the quarter, you can get a skin (which doesn't go up to the body crease) and you can get a full quarter that goes all the way up to the C pillar and over to the trunk opening. My preference is to replace as little as possible since aftermarket sheet metal doesn't fit well.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to agree. I am about to get quotes on getting my drives quarter replace becuase the aftermaket sheetmetal will not line up. If you can do a small patch then do that. Replacing the whole quater is more trouble than it is worth unless you just have too. Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your right on the rust for the right outer wheel well. But the whole thing is shot even in the front and here and there in the middle. I have stripped the quarter down to metal and primed and the only rust i found was the rust in the rear but I was going to buy that patch and the wheel house then the guy told me inorder to do the wheel house i must do the quarter or the quarter skin. I talked to a few other people and they said the whole quarter would probably be a whole lot easier then the skin? Then on the left quarter the whole thing is smashed in about 1-2 inches right behind the door post and all the way down. The wheel opening is pretty wavy and someone tried to do some really shoty body work there at one time. So I am going to replace it. I need to get my door on the drivers side again and make sure it all aligns up nice before I cut anything out so if I have to I can pull that door post out. I was wondering if there were any tricks to the quarter replacement on a coupe that would make it a little easier? Or any sugestions. Thanks for the help.

Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts