Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my SS trim has responded nicely to compound/buffing, both Quarter window frames have visible marks on the chrome upright inner and outer faces as pictured:

I would like opinions whether I am fighting a losing battle trying to polish (or otherwise abrade) to a visually clean chrome. This 'tigering' does not seem to click with a sharp fingernail or tool- they almost look like cracks.

Time to surrender and stroke a check for fresh ones or ?
QtrFrameTigering.JPG

·
Registered
34,453 Posts
Hand polish with Brasso™ and that's about as good as they'll get, unless you have a pedestal poilisher. The only way to eliminate it, however, is to have it replated.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I polished the frames on my '66 as best as I could and followed up with a polish that was on Jay Leno's garage.
They still have the lines in the plating, but they don't look that bad.
Maybe in a few years or so when everything is complete I'll replace/rechrome $$, but right now there are more important things to complete on the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I guessed- these are not the only Qtr frames out there with this marking.
Was the polish on an espisode of JLG a store or what site?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Like I guessed- these are not the only Qtr frames out there with this marking.
Was the polish on an espisode of JLG a store or what site?
It was on an episode of his show. I'll get the name of the polish for you tonight. I just used it last night to polish the interior door and window handles.
It's a nice follow-up to buffing.

·
Registered
555 Posts
For a polish, I’ve had good luck with Purple Polish on aluminum, and I’m sure it would work well on chrome too, but not sure it will address those lines.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The polish that was used on Jay Leno's Garage is 'Quick Glo'.
It's a nice finishing touch after buffing. If it's just a quick polishing that's needed, this will work wonders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts