Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I welded in the left side outer wheel house and quarter today in the rain. I went to fit the rear valance just to get a sense of accomplishment. Well it wasn't even close. I thought I did something wrong. Then I ran a search and found that I am not the only one to have this happen. One alternative is to cut the mounting tabs and reweld then correctly. The other is to just tack the bottom to the QP's. Either way I will still need to bondo the "canyons" that exist between the valance and the qp's. Buying NOS is not an option right now.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that. I am going to have to replace the qtr's, trunk and rear light panels. Everytime I look at it, I wonder how I am going to accomplish this replacement right and the first time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I feel your pain brother.......I returned 3 different GT rear valances (aftermarket)from 3 suppliers before I got one from NPD that came sorta close. I then had to remove the tabs from it, fit my own on there and reshape the lower corners to fit my OEM qtrs. correctly. I wrestled with it for many nights before it started taking shape and looking right.
Perhaps on this particular part you'll have to suck it up and pay the big money for the OEM. I know I will next time.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It truly was a let down. What's really upsetting is that I spent so much time to get everything straight and correct (even going as far as to remove the new right side QP when I did not like how it fit) only to find that IF I did a "shoddy" job, the valance probably would have fit. Why is it so hard to do the homework and produce/market correct good fitting parts at a resonable price??

·
Registered
803 Posts
I bought mine through npd the gt rear valance w/ cut outs and same problem. Thinking of putting my original back on and making my own cutouts.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hrm, where did you get your rear valence from? I got my GT w/ backup light rear valence from NPD and i was pretty happy with the fit. I had to bend the edges of the panels out slightly by hand, but nothing major. did you use full repo quarters, or just the skins? i don't think the skins are the same down in the rear valence mounting area as the full quarters are.

best of luck to ya

*edit* looks like i got lucky... ::

- Jason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts