Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charles,or any other MCA judge for 65 mustangs:
is there a cut off date on the 65 S/S wheels [and 64.5]
when the painted inserts went from light argent to dark argent ?
and one other question:
was the red center cap that was installed at the factory
the spring retainer type or the one with the 2 screws
as i thought the one`s with the screws were service parts
i have a set of Nos spring type centers and screw type centers
need to which is which
thanx Dave :p

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dave,

Tough question. No, I don't know of a cut-off date and to be honest, I'm not 100% convinced that when SS wheels first came out they were even painted argent. There are lots of publicity ads and Ford pictures that definitely show some with argent painted SS wheels but to date I have never seen an unrestored car with them. I have always seen the gray color.

As far as I know, all the 65-66 SS wheel centercaps were the 2 screw type. Seen plenty of original wheels with the base still attached and the chrome piece gone. I have had NOS centercaps in FoMoCo boxes that were of the screw type also. I have never seen an original SS wheel centercap that was push-on. '67 caps were push on IIRC.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Dave, I wish I had a definitive answer for you, but here's my memory of the parts in the early 70s. I hope a more knowledgable person, such as a Bob Perkins, would clarify.

I was once told argent wheels were used on the Fairlane line, the charcoal wheels on the Mustang. Observations of cars in the mid 70s when trying to get a set of matching wheels put together lent truth to this tale.

The service replacement center caps started using screws in order to prevent caps from flying off and potentially harming someone. The problem with screw-attaches centers, of course, are the backing plates were held in place by the coining of rims on the back, which wasn't enough to resist the pulling off of the back plates when the screws were tightened. The centers gradually got loose and the backing plates pulled out over time of the cyclic loading of the revolving wheel. I'm not 100% familiar with all the variations reproduction centers that Pro Products and/or others made, but I thought all of them were screw-on-- I could be in error. However, the initial design of the 65-6 centers were spring-type, replaced by the screw-type backing plates.

Bear in mind, I'm no certified judge, and I've been wrong before too often than I'd like to admit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There used to be a person who posted who had shots of his early '65 K-code fastback when it was brand new back in the fall of 1964. It had argent painted styled steel wheels. I'd say a safe bet would be early in the 1965 calender year is when the change to the darker grey occurred.

It could have happened during the change from early '65 model year production (clip-on interior door handles, two speed heater and no-toe-pad, edge-to-the-inner rocker carpeting) to late '65 production (allen head screw-retained door handles, three speed heater and toe-pad, continues-up-the-side-of-inner rocker carpeting), which took place around late February.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts