Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Question: 1968 steering wheel choices

216 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Flade
Hi, I was wondering: for regular production (not Shelbys or anything), we’re any other steering wheels available with any level of a Mustang other than the two-spoke variety that was new that year?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8,193 Posts
The deluxe is the same as standard, but the front is painted a simulated woodgrain and has a woodgrain centerpiece on the pad.

· Registered
8,193 Posts
My car has the original deluxe wheel but the pad is the standard black. I have owned this car since new and that is the way it came from the factory.
The pad is the same for standard and deluxe, only the Plate for the emblems is different. Standard wheels have a rubber plate that is color matched to the interior. The deluxe wheel has a metal plate with simulated wood grain

standard

Product Automotive tire Font Bumper Automotive lighting

Deluxe

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Sleeve Automotive design

The trim around the pad was Chrome on early wheels, but most were Argent as Ford removed most of the chrome in 68 to reduce glare. The repos are all chrome though snd don’t fit the woodgrain plate well.

· Registered
8,193 Posts
Well on mine the plate was black. On the one you show did the car have the deluxe interior option?
The deluxe interior used the wood grain plate. Standard interior used color matched plates. If yours was black in a non-Black interior, it wasn’t original, or the factory ran out of the correct colors and substituted a black one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts