Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible that the Data Plate could specify a 289 4-V and actually be produced with a 2-V. The casting code is C4AF-9425 C, above that is 289 over 4. Haven't cleaned the petrified "stuff" to find all code, esp date code. It is a true 64.5 build date June 6, data plate vin matches apron. Engine casting C40E-6015 C, Date 4C4. It has dealer installed headrests and AC. Hood, master cylinder, horns, generator, horn relay,
what's left of wiring correct, headlight buckets all correct.

·
Registered
22,195 Posts
Anything is possible. They made mistakes with the VIN. So maybe was a 2V and put the wrong engine code on the data plate. Or it could be a result of almost 60 years on the road. Back in the 70’s during some of the gas shortages people would swap their 4V for a 2V. It happened. Could also be the original engine took a dump and a complete 289 2V installed. I’m not a expert on the D code but what I understand is it’s basically a 2V 289 with a 4V intake. Same low compression as the 2V motor. So who knows?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything is possible. They made mistakes with the VIN. So maybe was a 2V and put the wrong engine code on the data plate. Or it could be a result of almost 60 years on the road. Back in the 70’s during some of the gas shortages people would swap their 4V for a 2V. It happened. Could also be the original engine took a dump and a complete 289 2V installed. I’m not a expert on the D code but what I understand is it’s basically a 2V 289 with a 4V intake. Same low compression as the 2V motor. So who knows?
I'm on the fence, restore or make it how I like it. It needs quarters, fenders, doors, floors. Frame excellent, it's complete. DSO St. Louis, sat in field in Kansas for 30 years. If it's a fluke(and probably no way to know for sure) I'll invest to restore original, except Power Disc Brakes-keeping all orginal parts with the car.

Thanks for your opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also read somewhere that only 260 2-v, 289 4-v or K code was the engine lineup for pre 65's. But some special order exceptions. As a politician once said "What difference does it make, now, anyway" , well I can locate date correct items to bring it back to 4-v, the castings all have date codes consistent with 6-6 production.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
955 Posts
Date code on the intake would be my first look. Is your engine tag still present? It would be mounted under the temp sensor. Is the 4C4 the casting date of the block or the assembly date stamp of the engine?

I have been spending years trying assemble my interpretation of a (July) casting/date code correct D-code for my pops '64 vert. Quite possible someone dropped in another 289 2v that was close to the original 4v, or possibly it was just an intake and carb change for some reason, or it was a non factory order.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Date code on the intake would be my first look. Is your engine tag still present? It would be mounted under the temp sensor. Is the 4C4 the casting date of the block or the assembly date stamp of the engine?

I have been spending years trying assemble my interpretation of a (July) casting/date code correct D-code for my pops '64 vert. Quite possible someone dropped in another 289 2v that was close to the original 4v, or possibly it was just an intake and carb change for some reason, or it was a non factory order.
Pulling intake this evening, it is encrusted with "stuff", if the tag is there you'd not know until a good power wash.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
955 Posts
Crusty relic! I see 4C4 is the block casting date code. March 4th '64. There is a small flat spot on the front of the block, drivers side, just below the cylinder head, a code is stamped there. It is the date the engine was assembled. The engine tag, if present will also give some useful information.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crusty relic! I see 4C4 is the block casting date code. March 4th '64. There is a small flat spot on the front of the block, drivers side, just below the cylinder head, a code is stamped there. It is the date the engine was assembled. The engine tag, if present will also give some useful information.
Thank You. We'll be getting dirty this evening and look for it. The engine is currently seized and we're beginning to soak the cylinders to get it to move and allow removal of the torque converter. Another note-this thing is full of surprises- all plugs looked good except #6, removed the plug and the varnish started flowing out, very curious what I'll see when the heads are removed.

Bill

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
2,094 Posts
Couple things here -

1. the engine casting code isn't going to say 2v or 4v.
2. the 289 2v was available in 64.5
3. the intake code that was referenced is a small tag that is bolted down to the intake, not a stamp. If still present it will say the engine and carb combo.

What does the door data plate and vin stamp say?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Thank You. We'll be getting dirty this evening and look for it. The engine is currently seized and we're beginning to soak the cylinders to get it to move and allow removal of the torque converter. Another note-this thing is full of surprises- all plugs looked good except #6, removed the plug and the varnish started flowing out, very curious what I'll see when the heads are removed.

Bill
Post your findings, or pictures of. I'm interested in seeing what ya got there. :unsure:

Here has been the fruit of my project.
Automotive tire Plant Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couple things here -

3. the intake code that was referenced is a small tag that is bolted down to the intake, not a stamp. If still present it will say the engine and carb combo.

I read somewhere the 289 4-v wasn't available for the early 64.5's. Lots of fog out there. Probably never know what happened 50 or so years ago to this car. I understand # 1 and 3 above.

Here's the data plate.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
955 Posts
Couple things here -

The 289 2v was not available on an early Mustang, but was available on other models.

The Assembly stamp I referenced is on the block, and will simply give us another date to compare components with. The stamp on the block is when the engine was put together as a unit.

The tag will give engine and trans combo as well as a few other bits.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
2,094 Posts
I read somewhere the 289 4-v wasn't available for the early 64.5's. Lots of fog out there. Probably never know what happened 50 or so years ago to this car. I understand # 1 and 3 above.

Here's the data plate.

Bill
Correction - for 64.5 the 289 4v WAS available. The 289 2v WAS NOT. I had it backwards.

D code means 289 4v. Are you saying you have a 289 2v?

·
Registered
955 Posts
The 170 U code six ('64) was the base option, replaced by the T code 200ci for full '65 production. The F code 260 was the 2v mid V8 for '64, replaced by the C-code 2v 289. The D-code was the 4v 289 of '64 replaced by 4v A-Code 289, the K-code was available in both years but only 'late' early '64 cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exactly, why I was wondering if the code could be wrong or are the 100% accurate. Getting date codes this evening and try to map out what I have. I also found the sheet attached which shows 289 2-v as Mustang and early dates, so things just don't add up, depends what or where you read it . I'd like ot think it is original but then again it was $1,500, and today that is a great deal for one with solid bones and complete.

Attachments

·
Registered
955 Posts
That is beautiful.
I see mine has many correct items, fuel pump, valve covers, geny with the exception someone lost the shield,
If your car has A/C it would not have a shield, or so I'm told. They are a major PITA. Forget running tall valve covers, they won't clear.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts